Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Miles on Trane:

While checking to see if Zita Carno really did write the notes to "Giant Steps", I read the notes. My CD says they were written by Nat Hentoff. Whatever. Anyway I read this quote atributed to Miles Davis.

"I always liked Coltrane. When was with me the first time, people used to tell me to fire him. They said he wasn't playing anything. They also used to tell me to get rid of Philly Jo Jones. I know what I want though.

"I also don't understand this talk of Coltrane being difficult to understand. What he does, for example, is to play five notes of a chord and then keep changing it around, trying to see how many different ways it can sound. It's like explaining something five different ways. And that sound of his is connected with what he's doing with the chords at any given time."

Hell, that's simple enough. We Aficionados already knew that.

Didn't we?

Let me reach for 'Sun Ship', and verify this. :)

Cheers

Today, I eyed a file of open reel tape, and decided to give the "Technics" open reel deck a whirl. Since CD's and open reel tapes are derived from the same collection, (mine) you would think they would be quite similar, but they aren't. You see the tapes were made before CD's and consist almost exclusively of records.

After going through the open reel ritual of cleaning heads and pinch rollers, I threaded a tape; "Extensions" by Ahmad Jamal. This album was released in 65, when his trio consisted of Jamil Nassar on bass, and Vernel Fournier on drums. I was told he went inside the piano, and plucked the strings on this one; I forgot who told me, but I can't seem to find anything to back that up. (A disadvantage of having a reel as opposed to an album cover)

When you hear how advanced this music is, you won't believe it was released in 65. Here is "This Terrible Planet" from that album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fQiW0Ur89E

I couldn't find "Extensions" from that album, the one on "you tube" is not the same; I guess you'll have to buy the album; here are the goods on that particular LP;

http://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/ahmad_jamal/extensions/

Here's another old record; Yusef Lateef blows more horns than you can count, check em all out on "Sister Mamie".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ycYPKijiMo

Enjoy the music.

Rok, I most certainly will get it. It's so hard to believe her music was this advanced. I still can't explain why I don't already have her in my collection.

Thanks for the "you tubes".

Enjoy the music.
O-10:

I have a Technics RS-1500 under wraps in the garage. I bought the seperate 2-track head assembly. Is this the one you have? Made the mistake of taping all my stuff using DBX. :(

Cheers