Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
O-10:

I have a Technics RS-1500 under wraps in the garage. I bought the seperate 2-track head assembly. Is this the one you have? Made the mistake of taping all my stuff using DBX. :(

Cheers
Rok, Dbx decoders are cheap. Check and see which are respected by current standards.

I have been contemplating R2R for a long time, but have decided, at least for me, right now, two sources are enough.

Rok, 2 Track 1500 is exactly what I have. When I recorded LP's, they sounded smoother and quieter on playback; as a matter of fact, they sounded better all the way around. I know that's not supposed to be, and it's "illogical", but the dumb machine didn't take logic, and it doesn't know that's impossible; "Reel to Reel is king of the hill."

Enjoy the music.

Acman, and Rok, blank tape is the problem. If you know of a source of tape "maybe" it would be OK. Those machines have to be played on a regular basis, or they'll go bad. Before my machine was too old, I replaced all the transistors and capacitors; all in all, I can't say I recommend a new beginning in R2R. I started when a good R2R was the ultimate, now the computer can be raised to such a high degree of quality, that I see no reason for the R2R.

Enjoy the music.
O-10 & Acman3:

My Mistake. I have the RS 1500, which is a 2-Track deck. I bought the seperate 4-Track Record and Playback head assembly. It also will playback 2-Track, but not record 2-Track. Dealing with 2-Track recorded tape is a pain.

I taped all my Classical and Jazz LPs to keep from wearing them out, and also to keep from going thru all that crap getting a LP ready to play. Most of my LPs have only been played once. I look at them now and think, what a waste. Useless, but in Pristine condition.

Cheers