Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Rok, when I don't respond to your post, it's because I don't have anything to say, good or bad, I'm not inspired; not because I didn't look and listen.

I don't know how many times you've submitted Oscar Peterson and I didn't respond. This clip is good jazz jazz; but it sounds like the same music that I've heard so many times before, that it's boring; I've been listening to this music a lot longer than you.

When more people were here, someone would respond; those "unnecessary" arguments seem to have ran some people off who haven't come back. I'm not in any way suggesting that you change anything in regard to your submissions, just because I don't respond; they may be someone else's cup of tea, just what they were looking for.

In regard to posts on threads, all seem to come up short.

Enjoy the music.
O-10:

****This clip is good jazz jazz; but it sounds like the same music that I've heard so many times before, that it's boring***

How can that lineup / tune be 'boring'? I think you have drank the Kool-aid.

But you are correct in that you have been at this a lot longer than I have. Therefore, I think anything I like, will be old-hat, or 'boring' to you.

***In regard to posts on threads, all seem to come up short.****

I don't understand this. To what are you referring?

Cheers

"The least fatiguing "; Why does she affect me in that same fashion? It's because she plays the music and not the notes, she plays the music in between the notes. An example of that is on "Mack The Knife"; I've heard this song a zillion times, but never have I heard it sound so "musical" as when Mary Lou Williams played it; it was musical with a jazz foundation.

Mary lou was a natural born musician; her mother would not let a music teacher get close to her daughter, said it would ruin her natural ability; she learned how to play by playing. As a child she played "chitlin struts" (never been to one) and rent parties. Every time she strikes a key, the sound rings out "Mary Lou Williams", her individuality is just that unique.

Rok, I bet right now, you're having a hard time stopping to do anything else but listening to the CD's you recently acquired by Mary Lou; that's what I meant by going to "Mary Lou Ville", now you don't want to leave.

Enjoy the music.

Normally someone else would have responded to your post because we had more people responding; that's related to the not so clear "all threads seem to be coming up short", meaning that there seems to be fewer people responding on other threads as well. Many times when a thread loses people, they don't come back. I had that feeling when they were dragging me into all that totally unnecessary, never ending bickering, that we would lose people on this thread, and we did; maybe they'll come back.

Enjoy the music.

Rok, here are some blues with a different twist; this is where two great rivers meet, the Ganges and the Mississippi, down in a different kind of delta.

Ry Cooder and Vishwa Mohan Bhatt join to bring us double delta blues, from Mississippi to Calcutta, including a smoking tabla that keeps an East Indian beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2ygVcw4SCk

Enjoy the music.