Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
O-10:

****meaning that there seems to be fewer people responding on other threads as well.*****

That seems to be true. I think one of the reasons is because they never agree on anything. And I mean Anything! After a while folks think they are just talking in circles. Never, is a consensus reached. And consensus is the purpose of debate or discussion.

What is the point of asking a question if you will get as many different answers as you get responses. All absolutley sure, that their's is the only correct answer.

Being on Audiogon is Like being adrift in a raft in the middle of the Pacific, water everywhere, and not a drop to drink. A man can die of thirst in the middle of an ocean.

Besides, once a person says, "the only thing that counts is what 'I' hear", then discussion becomes pointless. Coupled with the 'belief' that ALL components have their own individual 'sound'. Pointless indeed!!

Cheers
O-10:

****Many times when a thread loses people, they don't come back. I had that feeling when they were dragging me into all that totally unnecessary, never ending bickering, that we would lose people on this thread, and we did; maybe they'll come back****

Keep in mind that Music threads are a distinct minority on this site. Jazz is a minority within that minority. Traditioanal / Classic Jazz (Jazz-Jazz) is a minority within that minority.

There aren't that many people here who are interested in Music, fewer still in "Jazz' and even fewer in Jazz-Jazz.

They won't come back because they were not that interested in the beginning. I suspect that when Monk or Mingus were mentioned, it was the same to them, as it is to me, when they mentioned their favorites. Their minds went blank.

Some were 'Audiophiles', who thought all opinions on Jazz should be treated as equal. Like their opinions on gear. I.E., there is no right or wrong, no good or bad, no great or mundane. No noise at all. Whatever a person says or plays, must be accepted as valid.

I will never break faith with the people who created this wonderful music. They were victimized, cheated and disrepected, while they lived. I will not stand by and watch their legacy be stolen. At least not without speaking out and defending their wonderful and unique contribution to the world..

Until you are prepared to kowtow to the lost posters, they won't be back.

Cheers

Rok, your responses are what keeps me going. We gained some people who might have been from the other side of the world because they didn't speak English too well. People who were already on this forum would have agreed with Frogman, and Learsfool no matter what they said. Acman is the only person from here who's still with us, looks like he's going to stay.

In regard to the people who were victimized, cheated, and disrespected, I think about them often; I saw Art Blakey in a dump, a low life joint, the reason I never mentioned it is because tears came to my eyes, I couldn't enjoy the set for wandering, "What's the great Art Blakey doing playing in a joint like this." That was in what is referred to as "The dark years".

I'm glad you bring things like that into the conversation.

Enjoy the music.
Today's Listen:

Mary Lou Williams -- SOLO RECITAL
Montreux Jazz festival 1978

This is the entire CD. Received it yesterday also. Read the reviews below the clip. I have never before, seen such praise heaped upon any artist.

She is much more than I could ever put into words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uakBe89GldI&list=RDuakBe89GldI#t=894

Cheers