How do you negotiate a cure for wrong audio view

It is a shame when our art degenerates into 'hobby'. To let the mind stray from the wonderous pregnancies of the composer or performer's works into mere material quest for sonic reproduction is sad indeed. Now mind you, I love the pursuit of sonic excellence same as the next audiophile, but when my mind looses the 'big picture' of the art I become reduced to a mere 'hobbyist', which for me is a sad feeling indeed. My remedy is a total shift in view: from the deaf equipment to the animate speaking beauty conveyed by the mere devices. When I recognize that I am spending my time thinking about the 'machines' I hopefully remember to LISTEN, THINK, APPRECIATE, and disappear into the magic of sound. What do you do with this inevitable problem?
chashmal
Theodore Levitt once observed that "people don't want a quarter-inch drill; they want a quarter-inch hole".

Translated into audiospeak: "people don't want a stereo, they want to enjoy music." I try to keep that in mind, especially when I'm auditioning. If I'm enjoying the music, by definition it's good. If I'm listening to the equipment...
When I first saw this post I thought I would find someone gracing us with his view about how we should all think.

When I then thought about it I realized I too fall into this trap. The best systems I have owned made me forget about the equiptment and just enjoy. When I then begin to obsess about the equiptment I know it is time to take a break from this hobby, which has happened a few times already.

Enjoy the music and movies should be something to strive for instead of enjoy the new equiptment.
I find this problem is not just limited to the playback equipment, but the recording as well. How many of us are in the endless pursuit of the perfect recording (MFSL, Nautilus, DCC, Mastersound, etc..) on multiple formats (CD, DVD-A, SACD, LP, etc..)
The reason I posted this is that it happens to me all the time (especially when I am in the midst of upgrading). My goal is to STOP upgrading, which is not really that satisfying compared to the benefits of music itself. Hey, I love my S.E.T. amp. But can it compare to Bach or Coltrane? As good as it gets, no machine is inspired with creativity. At some point what some have called the 'merry-go-round' must cease, and music must take over. If not, the result will be the hell realm of a dull geeky materialism.

Sorry hobbyists.