Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Rok, did you notice that Ali Farka Toure, who is from Mali, has an almost fully developed blues style. How do you think that happened? He was not from the South or the Caribbean Islands.

Good to see you back Ramonron, See O-10 they are coming back. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GjpRccuiZPg
***** How do you think that happened? He was not from the South or the Caribbean Islands.*****

Any competent musician can play in the blues style. He listened to Tapes and LPs of American Blues players? He was born in 1939, so I think we can eliminate him as being the creator of the blues.

If your point is to say that Africa is the birth place of the Blues, if that is so, where are all the African Blues players? The tradition? The body of work?

I have a couple of his CDs. His music is interesting and in some cases almost hypnotic. Like a lot of third world music, a little of him goes a long way.

Africa's contribution to the world, is limited to long distance runners, EBOLA and AIDS.

Cheers

Rok, Ali's music was traditional African music, it was unrelated to our blues in lineage, and the similarities in sound was a coincident. Music is the universal language when it comes to expressing emotions; while our words are different, when it comes to basic emotions, they have similarities in music from around the world, consequently we have "blue" sad music, that could be the same in Africa.

Every since someone's trolley jumped the tracks in regard to all those far fetched relationships, you guys have been hearing things; next, someone will illustrate how chitlins are related to truffles.

Enjoy the music.