Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
A ' LOL ' moment.

Watched an episode of "Foyle's War" on Netflix last night. The plot revolved around Soviet defectors and spies, being tortured by an out of control section of the British Intelligence Service. Late 1940's and Early 1950's England.

Foyle sends an agent to infiltrate the compound and to investigate. He finds one Russian being water-boarded. Another undergoes a mock execution, (pistol not loaded). In the hallway of the cell block is a record player. The music is being piped into all the cells. The camera zooms on the turntable and the subtitle reads "atonal music being played".

Sounded a lot like 'Free' and/or 'Modern' Jazz to me. Wiki confirmed it. I really did laugh out loud.

If water-boarding and mock executions don't work, there is always 'free-Jazz'. No Soviet spy could withstand it.

Cheers
And I would be smiling and wondering; what are they going to try next sex with pretty girls ?
Good Lord, He Lives!!

I had assumed that you, and hence this thread, had Crossed Jordan.

Don't knock Slavery. Just think of where you, and Jazz, would be without it.

Cheers

Rok, since I don't have your e-mail address, we must have our feuds in public, and then go on.

"Ebola" is no joking matter; I've heard of people blurting out things best unsaid, but not writing things best unsaid, because that takes time. While everyone knows about AIDS, not everyone knows about EBOLA; it delivers a death too horrifying to write about. What's even worse about this disease is that doctors and nurses contract it while trying to help the afflicted. I suggest you read a little more about it.

Some things will have to change if I am to come back; classical, and popular music that can't fall into this ultra large arena we call "jazz", should not be submitted; this is a jazz forum. After saying all of this, my first musical submission might be arbitrary in regard to whether or not it's jazz, but there is no question of the fact that it's beautiful music. This also gives an indication of how big this arena is. Will post tomorrow.

Enjoy the music.