Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10

Rok, since I don't have your e-mail address, we must have our feuds in public, and then go on.

"Ebola" is no joking matter; I've heard of people blurting out things best unsaid, but not writing things best unsaid, because that takes time. While everyone knows about AIDS, not everyone knows about EBOLA; it delivers a death too horrifying to write about. What's even worse about this disease is that doctors and nurses contract it while trying to help the afflicted. I suggest you read a little more about it.

Some things will have to change if I am to come back; classical, and popular music that can't fall into this ultra large arena we call "jazz", should not be submitted; this is a jazz forum. After saying all of this, my first musical submission might be arbitrary in regard to whether or not it's jazz, but there is no question of the fact that it's beautiful music. This also gives an indication of how big this arena is. Will post tomorrow.

Enjoy the music.

"Mike's Murder" is a movie about two very young guys who have not learned that one must have a job in order to earn a living, and they're trying to take short cuts. Charles pulls Mike in on a job transporting a large quantity of dope. That was simple enough, but Charles decided to steal a small amount thinking they wouldn't miss it.

If these guys had ever watched "Miami Vice", they would have known that was a very bad idea. Not long after they stole this "small quantity" of dope, Mike's body was found in a clear plastic bag, and Charles had ran out of places to run. While "Moonlight" is hauntingly beautiful, this is the most sinister part of the movie. The moonlight is so bright you could read by it, and "They" are closing in on Charles in a deserted house; that's when he plays games with his mind and the moonlight, he knows his next breath might be his last.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjOT4NmNKrk&index=2&list=PL36827A04EF9DAF94

"Zemeo" is a fast paced number that fits into the plot; Charles is rapidly trying to make deals in order to save his life, and he's told "These people have to make a statement", nothing can save you now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovwkAnrTH4A

Enjoy the music.
O-10;

I purchased "Mike Murder" on LP back in the day. The album art belies the story-line of the movie. I never saw the movie, and didn't seek to replace the LP with a CD. Nice music.

I mis-typed the Email address. Should be Q38P@aol.com

Cheers

Rok, although the music was better than the movie, I had a tennis partner named Mike, and playing tennis plus taking pictures was all Mike wanted to do, so me and my tennis partner could relate to that. I don't think a CD ever came out, the LP is all I have.

Now that I have your e-mail I'll try and get back atcha in the AM.

Enjoy the music.