Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp

Showing 3 responses by zephyr24069

Matt/Guido: Thank you both for all the data on your listening experiences with the K-01. If anyone has a chance to hear the new K-01x, please let me know. I'd like to know if it is worth waiting for or if the K-01 gets it 100% and the x is simply a newer approach to things....
Thanks for all the detail on the various options available with the K-01. I talked to dealer in Canada who is extremely experienced with Esoteric gear including the P-01/D-01, VU models of both, P-03/D-03 and as of late the P-02/D-02 and K-01/K-03. The dealer mentioned that the upgrade path is not finalized yet for K-01 to the X model and that the initial upgrade will be limited with a full upgrade from K-01 to X with all diffs accommodated might be in the $10K range.

Matt: Best of luck in your Burmester hunt/acquisition; let us know how it turns out. Send me an in-mail/PM to let me know what you are looking for on the K-01 as I may take this path though the P-02 and D-02 are still haunting me :-)
One company that uses 'older' DAC chips and pulls off amazing sound is AMR. Their reference DAC is not only available at a killer price but also offers amazing results, very musical, detailed and pleasing!