Absolute top tier DAC for standard res Redbook CD

Hi All.

Putting together a reference level system.
My Source is predominantly standard 16/44 played from a MacMini using iTunes and Amarra. Some of my music is purchased from iTunes and the rest is ripped from standard CD's.
For my tastes in music, my high def catalogues are still limited; so Redbook 16/44 will be my primary source for quite some time.

I'm not spending DCS or MSB money. But $15-20k retail is not out of the question.

Upsampling vs non-upsampling?
USB input vs SPDIF?

All opinions welcome.

And I know I need to hear them, but getting these ultra $$$ DAC's into your house for an audition ain't easy.

Looking for musical, emotional, engaging, accurate , with great dimension. Not looking for analytical and sterile.
mattnshilp
Sorry all. Life got in the way again.
I plan on doing the Aeris vs. ODSE final shootout tomorrow morning.
Maybe play with the DS if I have time.
06-29-14: Joecasey
To achieve such results can take many months or more of system tuning, exhaustive tube rolling efforts, and finding that magical IC between the line stage and amp. The easiest way for me to destroy a ton of performance that I have achieved in my system is to put in any one of 95% of ICs out there in this link. And smearing is a major issue with cables in this link.
This is precisely the reason I find this thread entertaining but if you really want to find the BEST dac for your system, you need to maximize every dac ability and live with it for a while.

Exactimundo. Great minds think alike....:/

06-06-14: Agear
The real problem with with your current paradigm is you cannot "know" a piece until you live with it for an extended period of time. Things that sound spectacular on first blush often end up in the recycle bin. Ideally, you would have all these dacs on loan for a much longer duration. For that reason, I will circle back in a year and see what dac you own. It may not be the one that "wins" the shootout...:/
Guys, this is for entertainment. It's Matt's system and house. Everyone wants a great review of their products because so many can't or won't use their own ears when buying. I drive people crazy I bet, but I'm happy with my purchases too. I get delivery of my whole new system within the next 10 minutes or so (John from Audio Connection is on the way here. I"ll ask him about the Aesthetix DAC Matt). To me it was what sounds BEST TOGETHER. I finally took my own advice. Johnny had everything I wanted, but I listened to nearly everything on the market at, below and a bit above my price range. I spent an extra 5 grand more than I expected to, but it made sense to me, plus I have heard how it all sounds together on a few occasions. Yes, I drive myself crazy on this site and others, but in the end, my ears made up my mind.

Some folks get upset that Matt may not love what they love or what they think they love, but it's his ears and his system. I think he's doing the right thing. How many of you have had your components to play before you purchased them?

I'm sure many since this thread is a higher end thread, but be honest with yourself. I'd love to know if you guys just go direct sales, internet purchases based on hearsay or if you actually have heard products in your own system in your house or a combination. Just curious and this thread is a good place for this I think question as it directly relates to Matt's posts.

Thanks again Matt, it's highly entertaining. I"ll have to meet you in NJ when I get down there in the next few weeks.
Hi, Matt, no real update on the Aesthetix. Just saw Johnny (came to set up my new Vandy's and Basic/Heed/Benz system) and he said it's not in yet. He hopes it will be soon and once in, he'll just set it up to run in as quickly as possible.