Am I going to regret the Gallo 3.1s?

I am not rich. I am college student that doesnt have a ton of money and love music. It all started years ago with AV123.com and the purchase of the Onix SP3/Reference 1 combo. Over the years, I have loved the combo but wanted to move into a more dynamic full range speaker... Years went by and as the Gallos came out, there was something about the design that just sucked me in, making me really want a pair. The problem was, they were just waaaay too expensive. Well, times have changed and I now have the money to finally get my hands on a pair for under 2k. My question is... is it too late? Are they outdated? Is there "something better" for the money now?
vedder323
While i said im in school and not rich, i certainly am far from struggling with debt. I am in my last year and working full time making enough money to fund my hobby slowly. The speakers will be paid with cash saved up over the last 6 months.
My advice is not to buy these speakers without hearing them first UNLESS you are able to buy a set at such a good price you can sell them without fiscal regrets. (Probably good advice for any audio purchase unless one has money to burn?) I read Srajan's and other critics lavish praise for the Gallo 3.1's and hot footed it down to my local dealers all ready to plunk down coin for a set. After thirty minutes or so, I thought, these sound like hi-fi, not music. So what the hell's all the buzz about? Another lesson learned: don't put much credence in a critic's opinions unless you know they share YOUR preferences. It's a shame I didn't care for their sound because they do look very cool and hi-design fashionable. I'm not doubting their appeal to those who share a preference for a particular kind of sound, it's just that no one product is ever going to appeal to everyone.
Photon46 had an experience similar to mine only 4 weeks ago. I heard the Gallo on a very expensive system using Aesthetix Atlas mono amps with Aesthetix pre and CDP. Very impressive imaging and percussion; obviously a very fast, crisp speaker, but not listenable long-term for me. Downright thin in the midrange and upper midrange, which is a killer for my tastes. Even when we switched to a $35K Clearaudio TT analog rig, the same characteristics prevailed. It's not a particularly expensive speaker; hence, I don't want to be unduly harsh in my assessment. Just make sure that for your types of music that it will work for the long-haul.
Ill be working with Bill from Gallo Acoustics on a "B pair", I would think if I dont like them, they will offer a refund but I will double check before pulling the trigger.