Amp/Tuner: Best tubeless amp under $1000?

I know this is a "loaded" question, but does anyone have experience with Solid State amps? McIntosh? Vintage?

I have been looking for an amp for my upstairs to listen to music on/watch movies with. Right now I have a tube amp and don't really feel like using it for movies also. So basically I am looking for something tubeless to replace what I have. Something I can plug speakers, movie audio, turntable and cd player into and call it a day. Nothing fancy, no surround, just something that I don't have to deal with and my wife can feel comfortable using it. Everything I read seems to be over 2g and I don't have that. 1g is pushing it for me...

I have been reading about Mac 1900's, they seem very interesting but really don't know if there is something that sounds better, as I can't listen to them etc.

Any suggestions? I REALLY would be thankful as I have spent a week on looking for stuff, just to get more frustrated! :)
trueistrue
Interesting. They are just a town away from me, I had them mod a Dynaco preamp and was nice. I will look into that. Anyone have experience with McIntosh Solid State?
I leave my PS AUDIO HCA-2 on 24/7. If you select your cords with care playing to your system strengths and weakness you can't go wrong. Around $700 used should be about right. It draws very little power at idle.
Frank Van Alstine (AVA) has been making great sounding SS amps for 20 plus years. Exceptional value and reliability. I picked up one years ago-an omegastar 500 for $700.00-and it still plays great.