Amp vs preamp question

Which one is more important in the 2 chanel music system?
Should I spend more for pre am or amp

Thank you for helping
ledinhhien
Douglas Schroeder has a good point.

You want to be sure what you buy synergizes well. If you are not sure what will, an integrated would be a safe bet. Just make sure the amp can drive the speakers adequately.

Another option is trial and error. Buy used and don't overpay if that is the way you want to go, then if something doesn't work out you can sell and buy something else without taking a loss (who needs more of those these days)?
Very few integrateds have the power, especially into sub 3 Ohm loads, to get the most out of the Thiels.
IMO - Amp/Speakers matching first.
Finding preamp that will complement the amp/speakers synergistic qualities is the trick. Transparency is the goal and prefered coloration - just like salt & pepper- to ones own taste. Gamma of features, ease of use, cosmetics, value - all, just iceing on the cake.
At the end, your system is or will be as good as your weakest link. Speaker>amp>pre>source>rest is my own general rule.
Unsound, good point. If he's driving the Thiels to high levels in an 18x18 room, he's got more problems than amp power; he'll be working on hearing loss. 4 Ohm nominal impedance, 90dB sensitivity. He'll be fine. I have used integrateds (i.e. Pathos Classic One MkIII, Eastern Electric M520, Dussun V8i) at moderate listening levels with less efficient speakers and they all have worked perfectly.

Now, if he wants to blow the walls out... that's a different story. Most audiophiles I know do play their gear louder than I do, so take that into consideration.

True, he can get more power with separates, but likely more cost and potentially more mismatches in gear. It's a trade off. He may want to stick with a one brand solution then.
1) A solid state amp that doubles output as speaker impedance is halved is a necessity for the Thiel speakers. MAYBE a Wolcott tube amp would work...maybe.

2) Impedance matching between preamp and amp is critical. The BAT preamp has a fairly high output impedance that limits the number of solid state amps that will match properly. Obviously, a BAT solid state amp would work well.

3) The same requirements as stated in point number 1 above apply to any integrated amp being considered. You can cross tube integrated amps off your list.

The direct answer to your question is that the amp is most important in the respect that it must match properly with your speakers. No preamp will fix a poor amp/speaker match. Next, once you have a good amp/speaker match, the preamp must match the amp in respect to impedance. A marginal impedance match between the preamp and amp will result in rolled off bass and possibly rolled off highs...despite an excellent amp/speaker match.

Bottom line...I'd recommend a good solid state integrated amplifier that doubles output as speaker impedance is halved: Pass Labs, Gryphon, Bryston...maybe even a Portal Audio Panache.