Are the Klipschorns mainly for Classical music ??

I recently purchased a pair of Klipschorns. I also purchased a pair of Cornwalls. It seems that the Cornwalls are crisp and clean and a shade boxy while the Klipschorns are a very open sound. I have found the Klipschorns to be very good for classical music and some Satriani and Eric Johnson. I find that classic rock leaves alot to be desired because the recordings seem to be less than what I expected. I would like to hear comments from Klipschorn owners as well as Cornwall owners......thanks
allsmiles
I have to admit....I DO NOT want a 50,000-100,000 dollar system. I can spend what I need to on components. I do have a hard time parting with 2000-3000 dollars for components but I may just have to bite the bullet. I am just an average guy who loves classic rock, hard rock, and metal. My '78 Klipschorns sounds sweet now. I don't know much about high end equipment apparently. I honestly thought I owned pretty good stuff. Any suggestions are appreciated.
I do have a hard time parting with 2000-3000 dollars for components but I may just have to bite the bullet. I am just an average guy who loves classic rock, hard rock, and metal.
No need to spend more than that, probably near the lower end of that range. Buy quality used equipment and approach each purchase as short term audition since this is your first foray into tubes. There is a huge difference in the sound of different manufacturers and even models within a line. But, it is possible to buy a component, listen to it for a few months, then sell it without losing any money if you are patient.

First, see if anybody here on A'gon, Audio Asylum, or even the Klipsch forum lives near you and would bring some tube gear over to hear in your system. That's how I got my first taste of tubes. There are plenty willing to help. And if you've really got 22 Klipsch sets, I'm sure quite a few fanatics would just like to see them all.

If that isn't possible, consider an integrated amp since this is your first foray into tubes, it will save you the headache of trying to get components that excel together while getting used to tubes. There are great current production and classic integrated amps that should do everything you need and more. BAT, VTL, Manley Labs, Audiomat, McIntosh, etc.

(the only possible problem is that most integrated, and preamps for that matter, aren't designed to be used 100dB+ speakers. So, fine volume adjustment could be a potential issue)

You don't need monster power, though some on the Klipsch forum definetly prefer it, but you need enough to drive dynamic swings. With your musical preferences, I'd start with good push-pull tube amps in the 40-60 watt range. It is possible to drive with a flea-watt(my preference) 6-10 watt amps, and many find 20W better. But, for a first experience you want a lot of headroom for explosive swings on hard rocking sessions.

Manley Labs integrateds are my first suggestion. Eva Manley is a huge rock fan and builds pro audio amps. They are known for the drive and powerful low frequencies. Her Manley Stingray integrated is a highly respected and well-reviewed amp. It's 40wc, but don't let that number fool you, these suckers rock. You can get them for $2,250 new or ~$1,400 used.

BAT (Balanced Audio Technology) also makes fantastic gear and has a more, high-tech, traditional look. Really first rate stuff all the same. There are a couple used VK-300x SE's for sale here in teh $3k range. These suckers drop 150 wpc and have an extremely pure, transparent sound.

Any of the classic, or more recent, McIntosh integrateds would work, I'm sure.

Also, what kind of interconnects and speaker cables are you using?

What kind of cd player are you using?
I use some gold heavy duty connectors....I have no idea what brand they are. The speaker wire I use is probably a 10-12 gauge. My cd players are not high end. I mainly listen to my 2 pair of Klipschorns and 1 pair of Cornwall II's. I also listen often to 1 of my 4 pair of Klipsch KG 5.5's. I welcome all suggestions for upgrading any and all components. Right now I am listening to Uriah Heep "Look at Yourself" ....I never remembering it sounding this good. I always thought the K-horns were the ultimate but I am realizing that there is a new world out there. Like I said before I have no desire to own a 50,000-100,000 dollar system. Maybe one day I will think a little differently. Thank you for your info on amps.
Since you've got experience with so many different, what is your opinion of the K-horns vs. La Scala or Belle.

Is there a big difference between all of them?

I understand that the K-horns are true borner horns, but I don't really have that option in my living room. One side of my room has large, floor to ceiling, windows on both walls so I assume that would throw off the bass balance.

The La Scala and Belle are traditional cabinets giving me more flexibility.
I have never listened to any Belles or Lascalas. I have been thinking about picking some up in the future. I definitely want to have some of both.