Are there digital front ends with the body...

and resolving power of good vinyl?

I'm mainly just curious; I'm not going to buy one. Getting into vinyl recently, I'm actually surprised by how a (moderately pricey) analog setup can trounce digital - any I've heard, anyway. There are at least two areas: 'body' and image density/separation. These add up to 'naturalness'.

This is not a taunt or anything like that: I'm curious if there are those that feel that there is digital that competes on this level. Price no object.
paulfolbrecht
Zanden combo sounds rather anemic next to SME30/SME5/Kondo IO-J/Kondo pre vinyl rig. I've heard it with my ears on A-B.

BUT, this vinyl setup is x2 the price of the Zanden. So it really depends what you're comparing.

Regards,
Alex
"If so close, why bother with the analog? I'm guessing that's at least another $20K you've got tied up there? Just because of the records you've got that'll never be on digital?"

Paulfolbrecht, yes I do have lot of music on CDs that is not available on Vinyl and vise versa. Let me qualify my statement where I said 'so close' to analog. It is so close that you could be fooled in to believing you are listenening to analog- until you compare analog and Vinyl playback back to back that is. Analong is still got an edge on resolution but ever so slightly- okay may be 5% more. That is also using Zanden 1200 mk2 phono or Vendetta research phono- Vendetta a little brighter in comparision but still very very good. Zanden digital combo indeed compares very well. And I wish I could say I have tied up only $20K on digital. It is lot more than that.

"Zanden combo sounds rather anemic next to SME30/SME5/Kondo IO-J/Kondo pre vinyl rig. I've heard it with my ears on A-B. "

Hmmm, It is hard to imagine Zanden being anemic next to SME30 set up you describe. I think you mean the bass weight and heft when you say anemic. I have heard SME 30 set up and yes the bass and mid bass is very hefty, some might say too 'fat' but I think I see what you mean. In a way it sounds like there is complement to Zanden digital combo in your statement.

Alex, how does your products compare and sound to the analog combo you describe above?
Nilthepill,

Alex, how does your products compare and sound to the analog combo you describe above?

Well, I would not comment on how it compares, but here is the system I am talking about:

Audio system with SME30

You can see the SME30 on the pictures and a universal digital player next to it. Before this digital player took that place, there was a Zanden next to the SME30.

Regards,
Alex
Alex, Thanks for the link. Although I had come across these exotic looking horn speakers review. Your name was mentioned as digital-to-tubes maestro. Congratulations!!

The system owner has some very good amplification. Frankly I think as impressive as the speakers look, the complexity of integrating all would be 'gargantuan' ;-) The review was for the 300b tubes only and I would have liked to read the review notes (SME set up vs Zanden digital) they you are talking about. Althoug i don't doubt your statement. Sarajan, as you know, is big fan of Zanden digital.