B&W Matrix 801 Series II

There is a pair for sale in my area for $2000. Anyone have an opinion on these speakers? Are they good sounding speakers or just okay? I believe they are pretty old. My interest in them is because they are local so no shipping and I understand B&W makes some very good speakers. Thanks for the help.
wemfan
Chris, you're right, I have liked some of the Krells that I have heard very much. I owned the KSA 50 (good but admittedly far from their best) years ago and enjoyed it very much. Still....there's just something about a good tube amp; something that makes music sound closer to real for me. I know all too well that this is a controversial subject, but (just as with the digital/analog debate) there are certain qualities in music that, even as the technologies come closer and closer to each other sound-wise, are still better expressed by one technology (tube/ss) or the other. As we all know no gear is perfect so we have to choose our poison.

BTW, I haven't forgotten about your question re analog /digital in the ET thread. It's going to take some time to get all my thoughts (for whatever they may be worth) down.
My problem is that i just don't have enough experience in listening to good quality stereo amps. I am going to have to make my decision on which amp to acquire based upon recommendations and whatever I learn about how to compare specs. One reservation I did have acquiring the 801s was their low sensitivity.

Frogman, I have heard many great things about Manley amps. They are in the back of my mind. I am currently compiling a list of amps that appeal to me and Manley is on it. Any other suggestions? I do like tubes. My c2300, MC275 and Khorns is a really great sound to me. I can't say just how good it compares to other audiophile equipment but I love to listen to it. It is really an exciting system for me. However, trading out the Klips for the 801s showed me that they are a different animal. A low powered tube amp is not the place to look for these speakers so I am considering a much larger power SS amp. Maybe I should be considering tube? I don't know. Anyway, don't be shy. Tell me what you think. I do plan on acquiring an amp for the 801s very soon.

Dave72, That Parasound has come up in several threads. It appears to be something special. In the last day or two i have been learning all i can about Pass labs. Soon I am going to take a good look at the Parasound. Thanks.

Ct0517, Your posts are always most welcome. Please post some thoughts. Don't hold back tell me what you think I should do.
Please post some thoughts. Don't hold back tell me what you think I should do.

Wemfan
no problem I can do that.
first if you can answer a couple questions that would help guide the recommendation.

Hypothetical situation

Lets say you have had a long day and need to unwind in your studio.
Its wasn't a bad day per say; which usually puts me in the wrong frame of mind to want to listen to music.
So a productive but long day; and now to help you stabilize (release those endorphin's) you need to hear those vibes from your favorite music.

1) Can u name a sampling of six albums/selections you are going to go for in this situation. Maybe Patti Griffin that you mentioned earlier is one ?

2) Assuming you still have the 10 foot Equilateral triangle layout ? What volume will you play the music at:

a) Low volume that allows for conversation with a friend.
b) Medium volume 75-80-85 db not including music peaks.(Doctors say our ears are ok for 8 hours a day at 80db)
c) Higher volume. 90 db average up - time to get up and do some dancing in the room. (Maybe you are having a party in your studio one day)

3) Of the music selections do any of them fall within the medium or high volume level most of the time ?

This info helps me with a recommendation. Look forward to hearing some selections.
Cheers
Frogman you have a way with words to describe sound so I look forward to your description of analog vs digital on the ET2 thread.

Also I like how Elee described the difference between stock and Northcreek crossovers.

Regarding the NC crossover upgrade, I would probably wait a while. IMHO, they make a difference, but again, it is a shade difference, not a primary color difference.

He painted a picture for me with his words.
You're welcome, Wemfan. The Parasound is a solid contender and is great bang for the buck (in high end terms.) There really isn't anything wrong with it. It's a very good set of amps.

The Pass Labs, however, is something special, imo. It does cost more than the Parasounds, but I will say it's worth it, especially this new .8 series. From reading on other forums, just about everyone who has bought a .8 series amp has been very satisfied with the sound, and feel it is better than the older .5 series.