Bose 901 Series ii

I own a set of Bose 901s with the equalizer.  I have them paired to a Carver pm700 200wpc amp, and am using a Harmon Kardon 630 for the pre-amp and tuner?  Any suggestions for something that might put out a little better sound and not break the bank?  And yes I know, no highs not lows must be Bose.
mdschmi

Showing 2 responses by gdnrbob

I would say to first upgrade your preamp, then your amp.
Those 901's suck a lot of juice. 
A good inexpensive route would be McCormack. A used RLD-1 and DNA-225 should give you more punch. The nice part is that Steve McCormack is still providing upgrades at SMc Audio.
My 2 cents....
Bob
Yes, I agree with roberjerman, a pair of Vandy's would be a move upwards. I only mentioned the McCormack's should you want to keep the Bose.
I remember the 901's. They had a nice openness, but, as you said neither great highs or lows. A pair of Vandy 1's and 2w subs would probably blow the Bose away. You'll not only get the nice open sound, but a better soundstage with more definition of instruments and vocals.
I have heard the DCM time windows years ago. They were pretty nice, but I think a current pair of Magneplan speakers would be a better choice as they would be easier to run. (as would the Vandy's).

If you still want to keep the Bose, then perhaps going to the Adcom gfa555 and matching preamp would be another inexpensive way to power them. Though I still think the HK pre is probably your limiting piece of equipment.
B