Counterpoint and Mike Elliot

Hey! Does anyone have first hand knowledge of Elliot's upgrades for Counterpoint preamps? Specifically the SA-2000, SA-3000, SA-5000 and the 5.1 all tube phono/line pre. I'm wondering if the rather high cost of let's say, modding a 5.1 would bring the preamp to a performance level equal or greater than a similarly priced piece. For example, the 5.1 modified by Elliot would cost, all together, a bit more than an ARC Ref-1 preamp ($3500 approx). (Of course the ref-1 doesn't have a phono stage so the Elliot might be a tad more thrifty). ew. sorry, i dont usually write things like 'a tad more thrifty' and i wont do it again.

Anyway, I'd love to get responses from people who have owned or heard these or can send me in the right direction to find out more info.

For those of you who don't know, Counterpoint made ss, hybrid and tube amps, preamps and dacs but went out of business in '96. Mike Elliot was the chief designer and continues to upgrade Counterpoint stuff but for big $$. His site is www.altavistaaudio.com

thanks in advance.
kublakhan

Showing 1 response by samcard0359

No, I am sorry I don't know about the upgrades. But, what is your opinion of the counterpoint sa-11 versus let's say the ref 1 or 2 or 2mk2 versus the space tech lab stuff, and please dwell on the critical personality [discernable listening] factors, thanks, good-bye.