D-Sonic peak current output compared to other

Hello,
I read this review on 6moons website about the D-Sonic M2-1500M amplifier and I think it is a very interesting amplifier. However, I am wondering about the "Peak Current Output" spec (30A) according to D-Sonic website, because I've read regarding the Current Headroom at Spectron , where it is said that those can deliver peak currents of 65 amps...
I'm very interested to read your thoughts about that.
cjug
"The actual spec is the amount of current measured when the power supply is shorted out for 10 milliseconds "

However, if one ever listen to symphonic music, for example, then one must notice that the crescendo takes much longer then few milliseconds....

In Spectron, duration of our peak current of 65A is 500 msec - I believe longest in industry and if I am wrong - kindly correct me. Our thoughts on headroom effect on accurate music reproduction is on the our web site but I want to finish with exert from the e-mail I got from our new customer in Australia (Steven K.) who received our amps today:

" My first impressions are that the dynamic range is simply spectacular - makes other amps I've heard sound
anemic.

Sounds pop out of a velvet black background and then explode into the mix. It's so addicting!

There is tremendous speed across the entire spectrum, yet it manages to sound relaxed and natural "

My emphasis is on word "RELAXED" which for me indicates the absense of ear-piercing distortions, minimum ,if any, clipping etc.

Simon
Simon, Are you saying that your amplifier can produce peaks of 65Amps? Or are you saying that when shorted, your power supply can produce a peak of 65Amps for half a second?

Both are impressive specs, however the former is not credible. It suggests that your amps can make a peak power of over 4000 watts into one ohm, and over 16,000 watts if a 4 ohm speaker. So I am assuming you mean the latter?
" It suggests that your amps can make a peak power of over 4000 watts into one ohm, and over 16,000 watts if a 4 ohm speaker. "

Of course not. It suggests theoretically only with "ideal" power supplies. If it would be true in real life then any 100 wpc @8 Ohms amp you buy at Best Buy for $99.95 would produce 6400 watt at 0.1 Ohm load....

I doubt. While, our amps are stable at 0.1 Ohm load I am not sure what other amps on market can be stable at 0.1 Ohm load...

In real life we all limited by the design of our power supplies. As you may know we are pro audio mostly company and audiophile market is a "fun" part for us. We are building 8 kW contninious amp for Inter-M company (they allowed us to use their name) and adequate linear power supply should weight, if I recall, about a ton. So, we had to develop light switching power supplies for this amplifier.

But of course, you know all that !

Yours truly,
Simon
Simon,

Continuing with the Ampere discussion, what would be your recommendation in terms of electrical circuit capacity for a pair of monoblocks, high current amplifiers? Also, would it be different for 220Volt, 50Hz cases?

Best regards,
Carlos
Hello Carlos,

If I may suggest to you - I have published an article on the topic [its a bit simplify things, so I am sorry in advance...] where I use actual measurements of British engineer Keith Howard of the actual (peak) power consumed by difficult to drive speakers...during their reproduction of music and not on the test bench (what a revolutionary idea !):

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/manufacture/0708/index.html

I actually believe that real measure of POWER in power amplifier is in its headroom which is characterized not only by the peak current and peak voltage but also their duration and IMO, most importantly the level (and composition ) of distortions created by the amplifier.

So to answer your question you must know the power hunger of your speaker, room size, selected music and distance between speaker and listening chair...

Of course, for musical enjoyment (unless its hard rock) we need many more attributes which are beyond the questions raised in this thread.

All The Best

Simon