Direct TV causing hum in audio system

Hello,

I'm experiencing a humming problem when I integrate my direct tv into my audio system. When I disconnect the satelite cable, the hum goes away. Am I experiencing a ground loop? Is the solution to ground the satelite dish? (I had the dish installed free as part of a promotion.) I heard cable tv can cause this problem and wondered if satelite tv is any different?
ethannnn
See this thread that I posted earlier:

http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?bhome&1036026282&openusid&zzTreyhoss&4&5#Treyhoss

I bought the Mondial MAGIC box and while it did eliminate the hum, it also eliminated about half of my Direct TV channels. I ended up getting "cheater" plugs for everything on the same circuit (I had missed one while going through all of this). Anyway, hope this helps you. -Tony
Thanks for all your input. I think I'll start by grounding the dish to the same location as my power outlets. One thing that worried me, as I move the cable coming down from the dish, it occassionally sparked when touching other component. Is this unusual? Treyhoss, I read your post, did you ever fix your problem?

Thanks,
Yes, I did. I found I had unaccounted for a grounded (3-prong) plug on the same circuit. I put a cheater plug on that and the hum was eliminated. I would try the cheater plugs before anything else since it is so inexpensive. My fix ended up costing <$2.00 - of course this was after I spent almost $100 on the MAGIC! Good luck
Had the same problem guys!

The issue is that these darn dish people DO NOT RUN a ground from the dish to the house ground. This is MUXT HAVE!

I hae seen over 50 systems since it took me months and $100's of bucks to fix mine too!

Everyone with hum, make sure that your house polarity is correct, and that all equipment has a solid ground.

good luck!
Thanks for the expertise. I've been having the same problem in connecting my Dish Network to the A/V system, but only when I hook up my Toshiba S-VHS VCR to it. Using my naive knowledge of electric wiring, I thought it would be a bad choice to put "cheater" plugs on all or many of my system's AC power cords. Is there any danger to using the plugs? I'm also using a Panamax 1000, but I haven't had any luck using the coax inputs on that.

Enjoy the Experience.