DO CABLES REALLY MATTER?

Yes they do.  I’m not here to advocate for any particular brand but I’ve heard a lot and they do matter. High Fidelity reveal cables, Kubala Sosna Elation and Clarity Cable Natural. I’m having a listening session where all of them is doing a great job. I’ve had cables that were cheaper in my system but a nicely priced cable that matches your system is a must.  I’m not here to argue what I’m not hearing because I have a pretty good ear.  I’m enjoying these three brands today and each is presenting the music differently but very nicely. Those who say cables don’t matter. Get your ears checked.  I have a system that’s worth about 30 to 35k retail.  Now all of these brands are above 1k and up but they really are performing! What are your thoughts. 
calvinj
Physiology of oxygen use does change, points of switch from aerobic to anaerobic etc., but breathing is there in much simpler and less exercisable level. Breathing pattern will change based on the exercise tolerance, but gas exchange will not change without some V/Q mismatches and so on. Breathing pattern will follow the cell-level physiology, not the opposite (unless there is a pathologic condition involved). 
If you are talking gas exchange via the membrane you have a point, but in terms of gas exchange in and out of the lungs maybe not so much? With both being part of the breathing process, yes? And don’t V/Q mismatches occur every time we move and that does affect gas exchange does it not.?
If we are talking about milliseconds or something else very short, yes, V/Q mismatch changes. It will change depending on the point in the breath cycle and depend on many factors including the depth of that particular breath, pulmonary pressures, and what not. That is a very theoretical discussion with no practical, except for academic purposes, implementation. In reality, V/Q match/mismatch is looked at as an average over some time. Time being anything, but from inhalation to exhalation would be an extreme. Even proning does not yield result within seconds, if it eventually even does.

You could, temporarily, make a person breath outside of their current breathing pattern needs. A person can do it voluntarily, hyper or hypoventilate for a period of time, but not for any significant time unless cellular metabolism of oxygen changes rapidly, which it is unlikely to. Hyperventilating will end up with lightheadedness (initially), up to unconsciousness. Then, it will go back to the needed pattern. Attempting to hold a breath will be successful only until the brainstem triggers over the voluntary action which will probably be with pCO2 somewhere over 60.

In a pathologic state example, which may not be the best case to discuss this but is descriptive enough, severely acidotic person will have a Kussmaul’s breathing pattern and it will be practically impossible to voluntarily override it.

Breathing pattern in exercise can be changed for the longer term by adjusting cell physiology. Eventually, just like it happens in the heart, well-trained athlete will likely have lower rate at rest. However, that particular change will be the consequence of "training" the end-organ cells and not necessarily "trained" and better breathing.

Those patterns are easier to get a more vivid grip on with a sedated mechanically-ventilated person and changing parameters in real time. That is a completely different topic, far removed from cables that do or do not change the sound.

EDIT: I just realized that I did not answer clearly about the importance of V/Q mismatch. Changes that do happen throughout the cycle are physiologic variation and not to pathologic levels.

All of the above, except for acidotic example, assumes normal healthy subject with no cardiac or metabolic abnormality breathing sea level FiO2 0.21. I also, for simplicity, excluded mentioning pCO2 influence which, in fact, is easily the most important factor influencing breathing patterns above.
WTF??  What a bunch of wackanoodle doodles!  In even a mediocre system, a music lover can hear what great cables may offer.  Assuming of course that the material used for playback is fairly well recorded.