Fedex or UPS?

Which is the safer bet when shipping something heavy such as an amplifier? I have never shipped such a heavy item before. Thanks
audiofire5228
Wrap in 3 layers of bubble wrap and build a 3/4" plywood crate around it. Glue and screw it together. This is what i do. Never had a problem except Fedex/UPS charge $5 extra for shipping a wood crate.
I prefer UPS only because it's more convenient. The advice given so far on careful packing is right on. I found out the hard way when I shipped a 65 pound amp, without original packing, just how important solid packing is. The buyer returned the damaged amp and repairs weren't cheap.
Check out this link in the "Audiogon CES Auctions" regarding shipping:

http://cgi.audiogon.com/registry/terms_ces.html#shipping

"UPS will be the default shipper whenever possible. However, ground shipments are far too risky for high end equipment, so "2-day" or "3-day select" will be used depending on shipping distance. Generally speaking, East Coast shipments will go 3-Day, and most others will be 2-day. California and other neighbors of Nevada may receive regular UPS shipments."

So ground shipments are far too risky for high end equipment? Sounds like the voice of experience. However, the shipping price sky rockets for 2-3day shippments as compared to ground. Will the person(s) responsible for the above link please chime in.