Fedex or UPS?

Which is the safer bet when shipping something heavy such as an amplifier? I have never shipped such a heavy item before. Thanks
audiofire5228
You do, but you can minimize the risk by making sure that the amp CANNOT shift in the inner box (2-3 layers of large bubble wrap is good) and then placed in a 2nd box with peanuts tight between 2 boxes. For a heavy, dense item like an amp, peanuts are useless in the first box, the item will shift around and work its way to the outside. Also, re-inforce the box vertically, by placing a right angle folded piece of corrugated in each corner, that extends snuggly, from top to bottom.
Wrap in 3 layers of bubble wrap and build a 3/4" plywood crate around it. Glue and screw it together. This is what i do. Never had a problem except Fedex/UPS charge $5 extra for shipping a wood crate.
I prefer UPS only because it's more convenient. The advice given so far on careful packing is right on. I found out the hard way when I shipped a 65 pound amp, without original packing, just how important solid packing is. The buyer returned the damaged amp and repairs weren't cheap.