Forte Audio Threshold Model 3 or Odyssey Stratos

Hi all. I'm the proud owner of a Forte Audio (Threshold) Model 3, which is a fine Nelson Pass design producing 200 wpc into 8 ohms with a high Class A bias. I love the sound; no SS glare and beautiful highs/mids. It may be a bit bass challenged, or it may just be that my Meadowlark Audio Shearwater "Hotrods" just don't hit their reported 35hz. Another concern is that the Forte runs hot as Georgia asphalt. In any event, the amp is 20 years old, and I'm wondering if I'll see any impovement with a newer amp, such as the Odyssey Stratos. I've read the wonderfull reviews about Klaus and his Odyssey amps, and I'm the kind of person who just can't (or won't) spend a lot for equipment. I have a chance to grab a pristine Stratos for $500 including shipping. I don't think it has the 120,000 uf mods, but I've heard the Stratos is remarkable even in stock form. Learned opinions welcome!!
klipschking
Well, the verdict is in. I am shocked, but confident, to say the Odyssey is superior to the Forte (Threshold) in every way. 0ne caveat: It seems I was lucky, because when I received my Odyssey Stratos (whick I bought used online), I actually received the Odyssey Plus (or SE). Turns out the seller did not realize the amp was a factory upgrade model utilizing the 120,000 uf capacitance upgrade and higher quality caps. In any event, this amp is SWEET. No mid-range glare, tons of current, WIDE and DEEP soundstate, and very detailed on the micro nuances. I can't understand how Odyssey Audio can build these things at such a reasonable price. The internal wiring is all Benchmark, the solder points VERY well done, and all internal components high-end name brand pieces. Clearly equal to the McCormack DNA-1, Aragon 8008, every Treshold I've heard, and close to a good BAT amp. I'm impressed, and offer an unqualified and enthusiastic recommendation. Tvad, looks like sometimes the improbable is realized.
...we all have different systems and different preferences, so absolutely anything is possible.

Tvad (Threads | Answers)

Klipschking, the Odyssey amps suit your system and preference. I never said it was improbable, but I did say I'd be surprised.

I am surprised.