High End Audio-Gaining Higher Ground?

This is a spin off from a meeting held by audio designers where the primary discussion was about high-end audio and how to get the younger generation interested & involved in high-end audio. One of the speakers mentioned that his son was not the least bit interested in his rig and if something was to happen to him, his son stated it all would be put up for sale on Ebay.

I thought it would be interesting to put this discussion forth to this audio community and to get opinions on the above subject. Are audiophiles a dying breed and what could rekindle this hobby for all new generations.
phd
Dave_72 you already know about expensive mistakes, I have made a few mistakes myself, not anymore. I have a problem giving advice to anyone who has just entered this hobby and what to recommend because it will take a few years of trial and error to get a grip on what sounds good for yourself. It was of little consequence to try different products over time because it was very easy to turn gear over on Audiogon at the time, so very few dollars were lost, I don't think it is that easy now.
I teach in a university and without question, young people are flocking to better quality. 80% of young people into music today are buying it solely on vinyl. I won't pretend that there is a huge interest in high end audio now, but there is a solid interest in mid-fi like Pro-Ject turntables and vintage Marantz receivers.. And honestly, I think that is more important for the health of the industry. So yeah, things are looking up for the first time in a while. Will you see them in the Magnolia section of Best Buy? No way, but you won't see me in there either, you know?
I teach in a university and without question, young people are flocking to better quality. 80% of young people into music today are buying it solely on vinyl.

Intermediatic

Really? Can you back that up with any data?
"80% of young people into music today are buying it solely on vinyl. "

I do find that hard to believe.

Some interest in vinyl in pockets perhaps, like certain Universities. College kids often do things just to be different.

One of my son's 3 room mates last year did have a turntable, vintage receiver and records in his dorm room. I was impressed! Only 25% of the kids in that room though. That's about the extent of my stats on the subject. :^)