Holographic imaging

Hi folks, is the so called holographic imaging with many tube amplifiers an artifact? With solid state one only hears "holographic imaging" if that is in the recording, but with many tube amps you can hear it all the time. So solid state fails in this department? Or are those tube amps not telling the truth?

Chris
dazzdax
Atmasphere,

Sorry It's been a long day and I do have a life.
I will try to get back to you soon.

Regards,

Roger
IMO we are dealing with a case of the Emperor's New Clothes. IOW I'm with Tvad on this one.

I second Tvad and Ralph but folks remember I am dumb engineer so I don't believe a tenth of the scientific claims in any subject in the audio domain - unless it fits my college brainwashing, which means it is well known and documented in AES journals (who still make mistakes but far less often or with such hyperbole as found on internet threads or in audio rags).

What surprises me though - is how highly selective we are being - why are we attacking Roger Paul's gear in particular? - I mean there is a lot more out there that is WAY WAY WAY WAY more dubious - magic pebbles, Shakti holograms, $7000 cables, $1000 interconnects - nobody jumps to shout the "Emperor has no clothes" with any of that gear - even if it is patently obvious to anyone with a science background. Why is this?

I suggest a truce here. FWIW - If the H-Cat sounds great (like the Harmonix Holy Grail box I gave a link to earlier in this thread) then for those who like what it does then good luck to 'em - whatever it does is a good thing to those who like it! We don't need to know why - just as nobody can explain why Anjou Pear is so utterly amazing and why dozens of people jump to defend the incredible benefit to be had with esoteric cables when this subject is raised (perhaps they all work for Noel Lee!).
Shadorne,

I stand corrected. I should not have described the shift in velocity as instantaneous. That would be a near digital event. I was thinking of an instant in time where the velocity has shifted slightly higher – causing the 1000 hz to appear as 1005 hz. I am certainly aware that all deviations from true linearity are generally “smooth” transitions. (A kind of bend or warp in the shape of the sine wave.)

This brings me back to my earlier attempt to describe a 2khz measurement from a 1khz fundamental. The shape of the sine wave will have to have at least a portion of its rise or fall time doubled in speed. That is a considerable “bend” in the shape to be “seen” by the THD analyzer as twice the frequency (harmonic).

If you can reduce the bending and warping to a fraction of that amount – you can limit the distortion to one of mere phase shift instead of frequency shift. Instead of the energy sliding up the spectrum to 2khz - it only moves slightly up the spectrum and is limited to a region at or around the fundamental frequency. (1005 hz)

If you can detect the START of this deviation AS IT HAPPENS and correct it on the fly – it will never have a chance to inflict damage on the final acoustic output. Dealing with this issue while it was reduced to phase errors instead of frequency errors is why the system I developed is a Doppler control system. The entire complex musical event is phase locked to the fundamental (primary) image. As a result it has a massive stabilizing effect on the perceived location of sound objects and is totally transparent.

Roger
What surprises me though - is how highly selective we are being - why are we attacking Roger Paul's gear in particular?
Shadorne (System | Reviews | Threads | Answers)
I disagree that he's being attacked.

He's being asked to explain the theory, and application of the theory that he advertises on his website in regards to his products.

That's not an attack. That's due diligence.