Holographic imaging

Hi folks, is the so called holographic imaging with many tube amplifiers an artifact? With solid state one only hears "holographic imaging" if that is in the recording, but with many tube amps you can hear it all the time. So solid state fails in this department? Or are those tube amps not telling the truth?

Chris
dazzdax
" I have told him that those who demand an explanation based on currently accepted terminology are not interested in sound..."

This is the most hilarious statement so far and that by an academic no less, I am out of here laughing.......
I hope you don't mind, after my fit of laughter has passed, that I poke my nose once more into the door, before shutting it finally tight:

In reading Rogers texts carefully, and I have been trained to do so and have used this training in all of my professional life, I have no reason whatsoever to doubt his sincerity. Roger truly believes that he is up to something valid and he very well may be. Possibly he is one of those people, who out of intuition have come across something which is valid and valuable but- as is the case with all intuitive findings - they cannot at first explain in reasonable terms. This generally causes wrinkled brows from the mainstream, who - especially if they are interested and curious - want some sort of proof and if they don't get to their satisfaction the originator will get flak. The history of scientific progress is full of such cases and if we have one of those here, well, as I have said right from the beginning, the proof lies in the listening.
Thre is another thing typical in the unfolding of our discussion here:
Originators who seem to have something new in the sense of a break-through - and it does not matter in what field of human endevour this may happen - generally have supporters,disciples, prophets if you like, who are out to find proselytes for their cause. They are usually much more fervent, glowing, emotional in defending the cause than its originator. These people will easily join battle with emotions flying high and because of this fact, rationality, the careful considering of the "disbelievers" argument is neglected. Case in point here: This has never been an argument of measurement *against* sound, rather an argument of measurement *for* sound, which has suddenly been twisted from the latter into the former, which it never was, neither in Duke's nor Atmasphere's posts. Both gentlemen, as most of us here, are very well aware of the fact, that good measurements do not guarantee good sound. So before things get more ugly and distorted, I think we should stop and ponder what we are doing here and I certainly do not take my own person out of this equation.
I suggest we stop right here. Norm's efforts do not seem to satisfy the skeptics, he might even do Roger's cause a disservice.
On the other hand, I find Nil's suggestion great, that Roger would give a loan of his gear to a carefully considered neutral person who then could report back to us.
Again let us stop here, and that certainly goes also for myself, before it gets more ugly, irrational and out of joint. Just my final 2 cents.
Gobbledygook abounds here. Both from the scientific and "academic" communities.

Consider the sources folks.

Remember those who can, do. And those who can't, teach.

Do a posting history on the "academic" source and you'll understand. It is replete with flavor of the month products that have gone by the wayside long ago. Please read it; his track record speaks for itself.

RIP hcat.
Apart from Audiofool's usual nonsense, the key issue here is explanations for why some components sound better than others. Electrical engineering has some concepts that can be used in such explanations based on age old science. In science our understanding advances from observation and experiments centered often on assessing hypotheses. In engineering you apply the relationships that have been supported by science.

All of this is of little import for making decisions on buying equipment. If someone finds the equipment of a designer to sound good, let her buy it. For the engineer designing an amp, there are many considerations to weigh. The very best parts in a classic circuit may sound wonderful but be unaffordable. The designer optimizes the known parameters as he sees fit. This is not science; it is the use of science.

Since designers here have attacked Roger Paul, using what Detlof calls "currently terminology" saying that they don't find his attempt to explain how his circuit works. One would think that they could defend why theirs does, but they have not.

All of this is irrelevant, if your focus is on the observation that this amp and linestage sound extraordinary. Something must explain this. I merely suggested that people hear it. If they don't like it I would be shocked, but that is their business, not mine.

I don't care two figs whether they can accept what Roger says because I know full well that their understanding of what makes for a good sounding circuit is limited by our understanding of nature's principles. With time we will further understand these principles, but regardless, Roger has found a circuit that works.

I have, of course, said this several times, and so I need not say them any more.
>>I have, of course, said this several times, and so I need not say them any more<<

Oh go ahead.

A fool never learns.