How important is the tonearm?

I am presently shopping for a new tonearm for my new turntable. I looked at basic arm like the Jelco (500$) but also at arms like Reed, Graham, Tri-Planar all costing over 4000$.

The turntable is a TTWeights Gem Ultra and the cartridge I have on hand is a brand new Benz Ruby 3.

Here is a couple of questions for the analogue experts.

1. Is the quality of the tonearm important?

2. Is it easy to hear the difference between expensive tonearm (Ex: Graham Phantom) vs a cheaper Jelco (Approx. 500$)?

3. What makes a good arm?

Any comments from analogues expert?
acadie
Deare Acadie: For many years I " supported " that the tonearm and cartridge are one and only one audio item not two audio items.

The in between relationship is so critical on quality performance level that made a hard " task " try to separate one each other.

Yes, there are different build quality level tonearms and differences on " user/cartridge friendly " set up level in its design.

I think it is easy to hear the difference between and expensive tonearm vs a cheaper Jelco if the cartridge is a wrong/bad match with the cheaper tonearm but if the cartridge makes a good match with this tonearm then it is not so easy to heard/hear differences.

I like Benz Micro cartridges that I own and I agree with Elizabeth the SME is a good option with that cartridge.

Now the Jelco is so unexpensive that if I was you I will try the SA-750E witn that Ruby 3 and if you don't like it you always could put on sale and sold it very easy.
The Jelco is a removable ( universal. ) headshell design and you could try with different buil material/weight headshells to know which one mates better with the Ruby 3. In the other side you can buy a good IC cable for the Jelco that degrade the less the cartridge signal.

All options named here are good.

Btw, I agree with Halcro: the source is the most important link in an audio chain, either digital or analog.

I posted elsewhere that the source ( any ) is the EMPEROR and all the other audio links ( including our system set up skills. ) in that system audio chain are mere subdits/slaves working in favor of the source signal trying to lose the less and adding the less ( any degradation form. ) to that source signal.

+++++ " I have never seen or heard a cartridge work without an arm of some sort. " +++++

me either, well I seen it but not heard it with out an " arm of some sort " in the same way that with out IC cables/TT/PS/speakers/etc " of some sort ", all of them are only cartridge's slaves.

IMHO as better synergy between slaves ( each to other ) and Emperor/slaves as better system quality performance.

Regards and enjoy the music,
Raul.
I forgot, that was at hardware level we can't forget that all that system hardware ( including cartridge. ) works in favor of software/LPs.

Raul.
The question was NOT what is more important, rather HOW important is the tonearm. And I think we all agree that the arm is very important.

Soulbrass, all things being equal, etc., the low-end cart on the high-end arm will sound better because the arm is providing more complete support to allow the lesser cartridge to sound its best.