How important is the tonearm?

I am presently shopping for a new tonearm for my new turntable. I looked at basic arm like the Jelco (500$) but also at arms like Reed, Graham, Tri-Planar all costing over 4000$.

The turntable is a TTWeights Gem Ultra and the cartridge I have on hand is a brand new Benz Ruby 3.

Here is a couple of questions for the analogue experts.

1. Is the quality of the tonearm important?

2. Is it easy to hear the difference between expensive tonearm (Ex: Graham Phantom) vs a cheaper Jelco (Approx. 500$)?

3. What makes a good arm?

Any comments from analogues expert?
acadie
I forgot, that was at hardware level we can't forget that all that system hardware ( including cartridge. ) works in favor of software/LPs.

Raul.
The question was NOT what is more important, rather HOW important is the tonearm. And I think we all agree that the arm is very important.

Soulbrass, all things being equal, etc., the low-end cart on the high-end arm will sound better because the arm is providing more complete support to allow the lesser cartridge to sound its best.
Matching a cartridge to the tonearm then choosing the right table to hopefully hear the arm,cartridge and your music at their very best. It's all important this far up the stream.

Remember when Ivor Tiefenbrun popped onto the scene back in the 1970s preaching about the source ,.......whom here bought into that back in the day? :-o