How often do you demagnitize your MC cartridge?

I have never owned a demagnitizer but a salesman brought one over once and did some cultish ritual over the cartridge, killed a chicken and when he was finished it sounded better!!!
Is this something I need to be doing regularly? Any advice?
128x128nrchy
Rockinroni:

I am using the Audioquest battery operated demagnetizer (it was about $70). I have not used the sweep LP, so I cannot provide any first hand information.
I'm a "newbie" to analog/turntables, but in my research so far, I have come across many who state that "burn-in" products, of which de-magnetizers are included, is just a marketing scam to make a small industry rich. Check out the "BURNING IN COMPONENTS" section of this web page (just over halfway down the page - might be easier to do a search [CTRL+F] for "magnet"): http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Hills/4133/know.html

I have also read somewhere (but I am unable to find my source) that using these de-magnetizers continues to weaken the magnetic field that the cartidges are capable of producing, causing even more damage (and loss of sound quality) over time.

Just my $0.02

Wes
Wes, you're completely right and you've chosen absolutely the right path to follow advices of engineers instead of marketeers as done by many "pro" audiophiles. I think bases of electronics are easily explainable to everyone in the public and they realy can help not to swallow crap very often offered by dealers.
It so happens that the manufacturers of the lyra cartridges are "engineers". They recommend demagnetizing of MC cartridges periodically. I do mine at most twice per year.

In any event, I am basing my statements on observations not "hear-say" as some would have it.

Marakanetz, since you are throwing stones: it might serve you well to look at your initial contribution to this thread. It is certainly not in keeping with what an "engineer" would write. Statement such as "The cartridge normally must be magnetized...." is trite at best.