How to shop for speakers?

OK, I've got the upgrade bug. My problem is how to evaluate speaker auditions given the limited local choices and the inevitable differences in amplification, room, etc. I have a local dealer who will let me do home audition, but he does not carry 4 of the 5 brands I am interested in after attending RMAF. He is even getting the mfgr to send a pair for my audition. My problem is how do I judge the various speakers given the variability in listening environments and the time lapses between listening. Buying used for home auditioning and selling what I do not like does not seem practical to me given the price range I am looking at - not much available used in this range and too much potential for significant loss with each transaction. Besides what if I sell one I later decide was the best.

My short list after attending RMAF:

B&W 800d or 802d - not so impressed after dealer demo
Dynaudio Confidence C4 - waiting for dealer to get one for demo
Wilson Sasha or Sophia3 - was blown away by the soundstage of the Sophias at RMAF
I would like to audition Revel Salons or Studios or Sonus Faber Elipsa but local dealers are installers and do not have demo capability

My favorite at RMAF was JM Labs Maestro Utopia but they are out of my price range new.

Amplification is McIntosh MC501 ( this makes me a non-audiophile since I read in another thread that audiophiles do not use Mac equipment - I'm fine with that since I really like the music more than the equipment). But, I would like to hook up a MC275 during the hot summer months to listen at low to moderate levels.o

Not sure if this is a gripe or a request for advice, but I will appreciate any guidance that is offered other than the usual " you listen and decide" I already appreciate that.
altbrewer
I would buy these speakers: http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1294260628&/JM-Labs-Mezzo-Utopia-Loudspeak.
Their current cost would be around $30,000 at least judging from the recent inflation of audio equipment prices. They use the same tweeter as Wilson uses[ although Wilson claims to modify them]. I had a pair of the Mini Utopia from the same period with the same tweeters and they were excellent. I sold them for exactly what I paid for them. I have not bought a speaker on personal audition since the early 60s; when I have heard some prior to purchase I have bought them DESPITE the audition, not because of it. It is really hard to hear speakers in anything like a home environment, most stores do not have good acoustics. I would buy something like these speakers and live with them for a year or two, you may want to keep them, if you don't you will have a much better idea of the sound you are looking for. In any case you are not likely to lose money. I don't understand why the 275 would be good for the summer months, most people want a SS amp for summer because of the heat. I like the 275 better than the Mac SS for what that is worth. I have absolutely no connection with the seller above, they just look like a good deal to me. I recently purchased a pair of speakers used and unheard and am very happy with them, but I know pretty well what I am looking for. Live with a really good speaker for a couple of years and you will too.
Altbrewer...there is no easy answer to your direct question. My suggestion would be to try to audition the speakers whenever business or personal travel takes you to a major metropolitan area that has 3 or 4 high end audio stores that are likely to carry the speakers above. Make arrangements in advance to book some time in their listening rooms with equipment that is similar to yours to the extent possible. There is no way to adjust for different room acoustics and ancillary equipment other than to note where you thought the performance was being impacted by sub-optimal set-up. At the end of the day, there is always some risk when you make a purchase decision if you don't get a chance to audition that gear in your system (which is rarely possible unless you live in a big city and have a good relationship with the local high end stores). The advice above about buying used is one thing to consider as that will limit financial loss if you need to turn around and resell one of these speakers. I would also make sure you have done your research and upfront thinking on matching amplifiers with the speakers selected. The MC501s should be able to drive all the speakers on your list. The MC275s however are likely to have a hard time with almost all the speakers listed above except for the Sophia 3s maybe. Good luck.
I have to agree there is no easy answer. The absolute best way is in-home demos. That way you will know what it sounds like in your space with your setup. FWIW - my favorite speaker is the C4. I prefer them over the consequence ue (well except for a party maybe). But have yet the hear the Evidence series.

That's my opinion and good luck
IMO, you don't need to listen too long to know the speaker is really good. If you need to listen too long, the speaker is probably just so-so, so I would avoid it. I know dealers can and do give crappy demos, but the good one try to make things sound as good as they can. Things like room tunes etc can make a great speaker better, but can't really correct for a less than steller speaker.

Real life example. I walked into a hi-fi dealer and heard SoundLab speakers for the first time (I had never known about the brand before this). I walked out 15 minutes later the owner of a used pair they had for sale. I had them hauled over to my house the next day and never had any regreats.
I almost bought a whole Meridian system this way too, but I could not quit swing the $$$$.
Before this, I had bought the Mirage M3si speakers (still one of my favorite speakers) from a store. I heard them one day and went back the next day to put in an order for a new pair. Never had any regrets. This is one set of speakers I really got my money worth from and still have them.

Hey, maybe that is a great idea- sleep on it . Go listen and if you still remember something good a few days later, then maybe you found it.
I would only throw into the mix, clearly understand your own listening room before listening to any speakers. I know my room, I know how I have to lay out my tunes for best results. I know that very small, very low sensitivity speakers won't do well in my room. I know that I have very good room boundries to produce bass and don't have too many nasty room nodes to deal with. Figure out what hard and soft surfaces do to the mid and high frequencies in your room. You can then have your information as a reference as you compare your listening environment where ever you are and have a better chance to get the results that you are after at home. Like some of the others, I would strongly recommend a good used pair. If they aren't what you like, easier to move without getting bitten too hard. Good Luck, Tim