How to shop for speakers?

OK, I've got the upgrade bug. My problem is how to evaluate speaker auditions given the limited local choices and the inevitable differences in amplification, room, etc. I have a local dealer who will let me do home audition, but he does not carry 4 of the 5 brands I am interested in after attending RMAF. He is even getting the mfgr to send a pair for my audition. My problem is how do I judge the various speakers given the variability in listening environments and the time lapses between listening. Buying used for home auditioning and selling what I do not like does not seem practical to me given the price range I am looking at - not much available used in this range and too much potential for significant loss with each transaction. Besides what if I sell one I later decide was the best.

My short list after attending RMAF:

B&W 800d or 802d - not so impressed after dealer demo
Dynaudio Confidence C4 - waiting for dealer to get one for demo
Wilson Sasha or Sophia3 - was blown away by the soundstage of the Sophias at RMAF
I would like to audition Revel Salons or Studios or Sonus Faber Elipsa but local dealers are installers and do not have demo capability

My favorite at RMAF was JM Labs Maestro Utopia but they are out of my price range new.

Amplification is McIntosh MC501 ( this makes me a non-audiophile since I read in another thread that audiophiles do not use Mac equipment - I'm fine with that since I really like the music more than the equipment). But, I would like to hook up a MC275 during the hot summer months to listen at low to moderate levels.o

Not sure if this is a gripe or a request for advice, but I will appreciate any guidance that is offered other than the usual " you listen and decide" I already appreciate that.
altbrewer
I have to agree there is no easy answer. The absolute best way is in-home demos. That way you will know what it sounds like in your space with your setup. FWIW - my favorite speaker is the C4. I prefer them over the consequence ue (well except for a party maybe). But have yet the hear the Evidence series.

That's my opinion and good luck
IMO, you don't need to listen too long to know the speaker is really good. If you need to listen too long, the speaker is probably just so-so, so I would avoid it. I know dealers can and do give crappy demos, but the good one try to make things sound as good as they can. Things like room tunes etc can make a great speaker better, but can't really correct for a less than steller speaker.

Real life example. I walked into a hi-fi dealer and heard SoundLab speakers for the first time (I had never known about the brand before this). I walked out 15 minutes later the owner of a used pair they had for sale. I had them hauled over to my house the next day and never had any regreats.
I almost bought a whole Meridian system this way too, but I could not quit swing the $$$$.
Before this, I had bought the Mirage M3si speakers (still one of my favorite speakers) from a store. I heard them one day and went back the next day to put in an order for a new pair. Never had any regrets. This is one set of speakers I really got my money worth from and still have them.

Hey, maybe that is a great idea- sleep on it . Go listen and if you still remember something good a few days later, then maybe you found it.
I would only throw into the mix, clearly understand your own listening room before listening to any speakers. I know my room, I know how I have to lay out my tunes for best results. I know that very small, very low sensitivity speakers won't do well in my room. I know that I have very good room boundries to produce bass and don't have too many nasty room nodes to deal with. Figure out what hard and soft surfaces do to the mid and high frequencies in your room. You can then have your information as a reference as you compare your listening environment where ever you are and have a better chance to get the results that you are after at home. Like some of the others, I would strongly recommend a good used pair. If they aren't what you like, easier to move without getting bitten too hard. Good Luck, Tim
Use your own CD's to evaluate and compare each finalist with the same tracks. Use a variety of music. Do not be surprised if some things sound better on one speaker but other things sound worse. Try to go with a speaker that presents the sound from your catalog correctly balanced rather than what sounds overly pleasant - it is hard to resist a speaker with plenty of bass (all your selections have this in spades) but try to look for balance as it will be more rewarding in the long run.

The Revels are the more balanced speaker in everything you have mentioned so far but they might not impress you in a ten minute demo as much as something with heavier bass. However, they might be more rewarding over the long haul.

With a bit of experience you can tell what is room and what is the speaker behavior. A good speaker will sound the same at any volume but at high levels the room will come to life and get energized. Excessive volumes in a space that is too small will sound harsh and claustrophobic. Speakers nearly always sound better given more space (within reason of course)
Stanwal, I proofread my posts but missed the error in this one. Of course, I meant to say I used the MC275 in winter, not summer. Also, I would not expect the MC275 to drive any of these speakers to loud volumes, but only for quiet, mellow listening.

To all other responders, thanks. I do believe that home audition would be the best way to judge a speaker, but it doesn't seem practical in this price range. I am not opposed to buying used, but I am not sure that I would feel I got good value if the trial and error process went on too long with, say, a 10% loss each time, for speakers costing this much.

I feel pretty good about looking at the listening room at the dealer and comparing it with mine to get an idea of how the speaker might work at home, but not so much with figuring the impact of the different electronics and cables.

I spent my entire career using objective data to formulate my work product, so I guess what I am looking for is a systematic method that will allow me to compare speakers in different locations at different times. Using a single set of music tracks is a good idea, and I am in the process of making notes about what I listen for with each cut.