HYPEX,PASCAL OR ABLETEC

Knowing about the many apparently very good class D amps on the market right now and even though I'm very satisfied with my current ClassD Audio SDS-440CS amp, I'm seriously considering purchasing one of these amps to try out in my system. My thinking is that, if I do like the amp in my system, I can just use my current amp to replace an older Adcom GFA-545 that currently powers my Magnepan CC3 center channel and my unamplified (passive)sub for ht purposes. I would then always be able to choose which amp I used for my 2 ch music and which amp I used for ht(cc and sub).

Well, I should get to my point:

I'm using an Oppo105 as the master source in my streamlined A/V living room system used 40% for 2-ch music and 60% for ht. For 2-ch listening, I stream my cd collection and hi-res Flac files from a Synology NAS in another room to the Oppo. The Oppo acts as a stand alone dac and sends the analog output via xlr cables to my class D amp (440 w/ch@4ohms) which powers my Magnepan 2.7qr speakers. For ht, I use the Oppo for decoding surround sound from Netflix, Directv and bluray discs. Two class A/B amps power the Oppo's ht audio outputs to my Magnepan CC3 center channel, LFE sub and in-ceiling rear surround channels.
I've narrowed my new amp choices down to the following four listed below. I'm requesting feedback on any or all of these 4 amp options, especially from anyone who has used 1 or more in their system. My budget is $2,000 to $2,500 and my room is 18ft x 13ft with 8ft ceilings. Here are my options:

Option#1 Hypex Ncore nc400 based amp builds from James Romeyn in Utah. A stereo, dual-mono build is $1,500 total and is rated at 400 watts @ 4 ohms. It includes 2 Hypex nc400 power modules both powered by 1 nc12000 smps mounted in a generic case with a black or silver aluminum faceplate with both se and xlr inputs. A pair of mono-blocks built runs a bit under $2,000/pr. total and consists of a nc400 power module mated to a nc600 smps in each 'NCORE' labeled black case with both se and xlr inputs.

Option#2 Pascal amp build from Aluminati Sound in Ohio. This is a stereo build only that will use a new stereo board from Pascal in Denmark, called the SPRO-2, that has a smps incorporated on the board. Power output is rated at 500 watts/ch @ 4 ohms. Forecasted price is about $2,000 but may run a bit higher. Pascal modules are used in the new JRRG Continuum 2 integrated amp that has received very positive sq reviews. Alumnati is owned by 2 former CNC machinists/fabricators. Their main advantage is their case work. One of the Aluminati owners, Matt Kraemer, told me the new stereo Pascal amp is tentatively named the "X-1" and should be available for order by approx. mid July. He said the stereo case will be milled from a single large aluminum block. The finished case will have an anodized finish (think JRRG cases but milled as 1 solid piece instead of multiple anodized face panels attached to a chassis underneath. The aluminum case will have a blue power/status light mounted underneath projecting downward.

Option#3- Abletec amp modules in the DSonic M3-600M mono-blocks. I'm not certain which Abletec modules are used in these amps but the price is $1,950/pr. and power output is 600 watts/ch @ 4 ohms in black cases with a blue power/status light with both se and xlr inputs. The Abletec modules have built-in smps just like the Pascal modules. According to DSonic's owner, Dennis Deacon, the 600Ms and their top-of-the-line 1500Ms have similar sound characteristics, even though the 1500Ms use Pascal modules(likely either a MPro or XPro module).

Option#4- Identical ClassD Audio SDS-440CS amp to replace my older class A/B amp that powers my center ch and sub. This option is least attractive to me since it would mean my music amplification would remain the same and I wouldn't be auditioning any of the newer class D amp modules. If I liked option 1,2 or 3 above better for music playback, I would simply move my existing CDA music amp over to center and sub duties anyways. The only benefit of option #4 is that it's the least expensive at $630.

I've ruled out some amps, like the Wyred4Sound and Red Dragon offerings, because they use the older Ice ucd power modules typically considered sonically inferior to the newer Hypex Ncore, Pascal and Abletec power modules. Any comments comparing the sq of these options is greatly appreciated, especially if you've owned or listened to some of these. I do understand that there is more involved with how various class D amps sound than just the power modules utilized, such as high quality components and custom input stages.

I should also say, just like Audiozen, I have never actually heard a Hypex, Pascal or Abletec powered amp. I'm just curious and base my optimism on the positive reports from owners, listeners and professional reviewers. If I had a larger $10k plus budget, I'd likely just buy a completed amp based on the Hypex Ncore nc1200 power modules, such as Merrill, upcoming Mola-Mola or Acoustic Imagery.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts, comments and suggestions. Please feel free to suggest other reasonably priced class D amps I may have omitted.

Thank you,
Tim

Much like Audiozen, I am basing
128x128noble100
Hi Everyone,

Matt here from Aluminati Sound. We are having a lot of fun designing and testing this new amp. It's sounds much more alive than the Ncore boards IMO and i have made many amp cases for the NC400 board.

We originally stamped the design with "X1" but it makes more sense as "X2" since it will be a 2 channel or stereo amp.

After listening for 100+ hours, we think the board it self sounds great and feel it does not need any fancy modification. But the solid aluminum machined block we'll use for the case adds protection againist outside interference.

Jason (partner) and I are both CNC machinists and combined we have over 30 years of experience. We love machining and we love audio, they go well together.

Best,
Matt
do you continue to consider the Aluminati product? A substantial part of their cost is the expensive machined aluminum case which adds little to the performance of the amp.A much better price/performance option would be the ncore400 built to order from James Romeyn.
For completion's sake, here is the internet address of James Romeyn,'s NCore NC400 integration service:

http://jamesromeyn.com/#/home-audio-gear/hypex-ncore-nc400-build-service-on-time-or-free-build/

G.
Kuribo and Guido,

My decision to try a new class D amp in my system was initiated during the reading of audio blogs concerning the building of relatively inexpensive home assembled amps on Audio Circle and DIY Audio. Most of these diyers were very excited to be using the Hypex NCore nc400 amp modules and Hypex switching mode power supplies(smps) in their creations. Hypex had announced at their introduction that their top of the line and most powerful module, the nc1200, would only be available to OEM amp manufacturers. Hypex also announced, however, that they would be making a lower powered amp module in their module lineup, the nc400, available for purchase to the DIY community for use in their home do it yourself amps. Hypex 'reserved' the nc400 modules as a sort of homage to the DIY community. Diyers were instrumental in the success of Hypex's prior class D modules and this was a form of respect, appreciation and reward for the DIY community's loyalty and support.

So, as a result, the nc1200 modules and smps began to be incorporated into expensive ($9,000 plus)new model amps from companies such as Acoustic Imagery, Jeff Rowland Design Group and Merrill Audio. Reviews of these amps were very positive.

The DIY guys, looking for a less expensive amp that possessed similar neutral high-end performance, started buying the Hypex nc400 modules, nc600 or nc1200 smps, wiring harnesses along with Neutrik and Cardas connectors and began making their custom creations.

Practically all of the do-it-yourself amp builders reported their nc400 based amp builds' had very similar sonic characteristics: very well controlled bass with a smooth midrange and a clean, detailed and extended treble that is non-fatiguing. Most assemblers described the overall sound as neutral, transparent and detailed that was very revealing of system changes, upstream deficiencies and recording quality. These sonic qualities were consistently reported whether the diyer built the amp in a custom case, generic case, cigar box or even on open breadboards without enclosures.

The Hypex nc400 amp builds sounded very promising and I decided I'd like to try one in my system. However, due to a stroke I don't have total control of the left side of my body. This, along with very minimal electronics assembly experience, caused me to look for a company to build the amp(s) for me.

The first nc400 based amp builder I contacted was James Romeyn, who was mentioned several times on these forums as an experienced and trusted builder. His assembly charge was very reasonable ($155) and he seemed very knowledgeable, passionate and detailed about his amp builds. The only downside I could see was that his stereo and mono-block cases ( sourced from Ray Sonic in Hong Kong) were, to put it kindly, nothing to write home about.
While researching online for alternative cases, I discovered photos of Aluminati Sound's very impressive stereo and mono-block cases. My thinking was why should I place these very extraordinary amp components in an ordinary case, or mono cases, when extraordinary cases were available at approx. the same price. Aluminati was founded by 2 diyers primarily concerned with audio performance that just happened to be CNC machinists. Their unique combination of audio enthusiasm and many years of experience as CNC machinists, metal fabrication and electronics assembly placed them in a fortuitous position.

Kuribo, you stated in your post:

"do you continue to consider the Aluminati product? A substantial part of their cost is the expensive machined aluminum case which adds little to the performance of the amp.A much better price/performance option would be the ncore400 built to order from James Romeyn."

Yes, my currently preferred option continues to be the Aluminati X-2 amplifier utilizing the Pascal SPRO-2 module. The aluminum case may have limited sonic benefits, although I cannot confirm this with any certainty.

While sound is my primary criteria in selecting a new amp, the cosmetics are also of concern since this new amp will be highly visible in my audio rack about 12ft away from my chair whether I'm using it for 2-ch music or ht duties; I'll rarely be listening in the dark. However, I can say definitively that the Aluminati X-2, with its anodized aluminum case and blue led under-case status light, will be orders of magnitude more attractive than the plain silver or black front panel, or black cases with "NCORE" printed on each mono-block, as the stock Chinese cases offered by James Romeyn appear.

You may be right, the James Romeyn Hypex nc400 amp build may be a better price/performance option than the Pascal based Aluminati. But, again, I cannot state this with any degree of certainty, having heard neither in my system nor any other system. If you have, as your statement seems to indicate, then any comparative thoughts on their sonic characteristics is more than welcomed.

Ultimately that remains my dilemma; having heard neither, I lack a solid basis for making a decision. I am left with only 2 subjective impressions from those that have tried both in their systems:

1. A few anecdotal mentions on AVS Forum from diyers who had built Hypex and Pascal amps claiming they preferred the Pascal amps without elaborating.

2. From Aluminati co-owner,Matt Kraemer, on a previous post on this thread stating: "We are having a lot of fun designing and testing this new amp. It's sounds much more alive than the Ncore boards IMO and I have made many amp cases for the NC400 board."

With this lack of feedback on the Pascal versus Hypex comparisons, I'm now thinking the the D-Sonic M3-600 or M3-1500 mono-blocks, that have received very good professional reviews as well as more anecdotal positive reports on audio forums, are coming on strong. It looks like it may come down to in-house trials to decide this.

Sorry for the excessive post length,
Tim

Don't want to be pennywise and pound foolish.

Tim, I still have to guide you toward Rowland. Yes it is expensive and yes I have a pair of NCore to sell you instead but In good conscience I have to say that Jeff has been selling his stuff worldwide for 30 years and has amassed thousands of happy customers, many of whom are repeat buyers. Rowland gear is amongst the best for resale and the reliability factor is a big reason why. Bite the bullet. The fact that there are cheaper alternatives does not make JRDG a bad choice. Imitators usually cost less. An Aluminati amp is unlikely to generate any interest if you choose to sell it in a few years. They will become a footnote if they are remembered at all. Imagine how silly this sounds to say we have been machinists for a combined 30 years and we cannot see where these amplifiers can be improved. I've been a lifeguard for 30 years and can't see where this DAC could be improved. The experience does not seem to qualify the opinion very well.
Since you love your present amp but are looking to replace it nonetheless, it seems unlikely that you are shopping for your last amp now. Hence, resale should be on your mind if you are looking to invest wisely.
Which makes more sense, buying an amp for $2000 that you can't resell at all, or buying an amp for $4500 which will likely fetch $3500 for the next several years and resell quickly?

I used to know Jeff quite well back in the 1980s but we haven't seen each other since I took a repair to him about 14 years ago. I have no interest in the company or any sale other than my own NCores which would probably be the second best option. Best would be standing pat with the amp you love and already own.

Take a trip to Colorado with your money instead. I'll buy you lunch and show you around. Be sure to bring the camera. Scenery in these parts is incomparable.