Jazz for aficionados

Jazz for aficionados

I'm going to review records in my collection, and you'll be able to decide if they're worthy of your collection. These records are what I consider "must haves" for any jazz aficionado, and would be found in their collections. I wont review any record that's not on CD, nor will I review any record if the CD is markedly inferior. Fortunately, I only found 1 case where the CD was markedly inferior to the record.

Our first album is "Moanin" by Art Blakey and The Jazz Messengers. We have Lee Morgan , trumpet; Benney Golson, tenor sax; Bobby Timmons, piano; Jymie merrit, bass; Art Blakey, drums.

The title tune "Moanin" is by Bobby Timmons, it conveys the emotion of the title like no other tune I've ever heard, even better than any words could ever convey. This music pictures a person whose down to his last nickel, and all he can do is "moan".

"Along Came Betty" is a tune by Benny Golson, it reminds me of a Betty I once knew. She was gorgeous with a jazzy personality, and she moved smooth and easy, just like this tune. Somebody find me a time machine! Maybe you knew a Betty.

While the rest of the music is just fine, those are my favorite tunes. Why don't you share your, "must have" jazz albums with us.

Enjoy the music.
orpheus10
Thanks for asking the question.

Anything by Ella Fitagerald.  Wanton Marsalis once said Ella can sing notes that people can't hear.
Oliver Nelson, I think it was called The Blues and the undisputed Truth.  The key track for me is Stolen Moments.
Kinda Blue, Miles Davis and his allstars
Jive Samba, Cannonball Adderly and a young Yuseff Lateef
Roland Kirk Live in Copenhagen, I think he plays 6 horns at once on this one.
The Incredible Jazz Guitar of Wes Montgomery.  Nuff said.
A Love Supreme by Coltrane, once you're a bit of a real jazz fan.  This is not casual listening.
Take Five by Dave Brubeck and group as well,as,Blue Rondo ala Turk.
Live at the Village Gate, Herbie Mann

You don’t have to be much of a jazz fan at all to love"A Love Supreme".
If you listen to Classical Music a lot its not difficult , just beautiful. And if you are of a religious bent it’s sublime .
Sublime indeed.  In case anyone is not familiar with this period in Coltrane's life and the making of one of the greatest and most iconic records in all of jazz:

http://www.npr.org/2000/10/23/148148986/a-love-supreme

"A Love Supreme" in its entirety:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ll3CMgiUPuU