Maggie MMG versus Ls3/5a

Hi all,

I've been running British Stirling Ls3/5a V2 with the additional two bass extenders for a number of years, with great satisfaction. They are here to stay.

But, I've always been curious about the Magnepan MMG and SMGa speakers and I wonder if anyone has compared them with Ls3/5a? As an additional flavor to swap in and out with my Ls3/5a, would they be a rewarding contrast? I have the required muscle amps.
sumaato
Rpfef, thanks for your wisdom and your experience here. Yes, the LS3/5a won't be going anywhere...I need them for the very realistic instrumental timbral beauty that they can reproduce so beautifully. (I'm a musician).

But, I'm a little confused...Mapman says MMG are good on transients and attack, but Polarin says they are not great for rock because they lack weight and dynamics and Rpfef says they have greater impact (than the LS3).

How do I tie these opinions together to get an overview?
"But, I'm a little confused...Mapman says MMG are good on transients and attack, but Polarin says they are not great for rock because they lack weight and dynamics and Rpfef says they have greater impact (than the LS3).

How do I tie these opinions together to get an overview?"

Sum,

Attack is one aspect of transient response.

Transient response is just on aspect of dynamics having more to do with timing and speed.

Impact and weight are less technical terms but imply yet other aspects of the sound related to dynamics having more to do with magnitude rather than timing or speed.

Together, they help describe the sound and dynamics in different ways that are likely measurable.

Opinions are useful, especially from trusted sources, and in quantity but you never know the full story until you listen and compare.
Thanks, Mapman...for clarifiying. I'm valuing timing and speed over magnitude presently.

The LS3/5a are like...Costa Rica: lush, wet, abundant in color and vegetation.
Humid atmosphere.

For a second pair of speakers, I would like...Colorado: dry, crystalline open skies and landscape, sharp outlines of the high mountain ranges. Clear view for miles. Cool in Winter.

Does that sound like the MMGs?
Yup.

Maybe not as sharp an outline (in terms of imaging and focus as opposed to speed and timing) with planars as some others, but enough mixed in with the rest to fit the bill quite well most likely.

And the price is right and not hard to resell if needed as insurance to boot.....

The characteristic dynamics of Maggies in general, including mmg, is why I think them to be one of the very best low volume speakers out there at any price.

Same true for Electrostatic speakers, including various hybrids I have heard, like Martin Logan and others.

Some box designs can challenge as well. The French seem to be good at this in that the Triangle speakers I own and Focals I have heard are also top notch at lower volumes.