Maggie MMG versus Ls3/5a

Hi all,

I've been running British Stirling Ls3/5a V2 with the additional two bass extenders for a number of years, with great satisfaction. They are here to stay.

But, I've always been curious about the Magnepan MMG and SMGa speakers and I wonder if anyone has compared them with Ls3/5a? As an additional flavor to swap in and out with my Ls3/5a, would they be a rewarding contrast? I have the required muscle amps.
sumaato
I've owned 3 different sets of Maggies (including MMG's) and I can tell you what they do well they do very well. That said, to me they are among the most "music sensitive" brands of speakers out there. If your musical tastes run more towards Jazz, soft rock or un-amplified fare, they would likely provide you a nice alternative to the wonderful little Ls3's. However, unlike the bigger Maggies they just don't rock, their limited dynamics and lack of "weight" for that type of music will be evident.
Yes, its true that mmg probably offer a lot more unique value with acoustic music forms than say pop/rock or other electronic forms. FOr that, I would say they are less likely to stand out.

Have not heard those particular monitors, but I have read about them extensively, and I would tend to agree pretty much with points made by both Rpfef and Polarin.
Rpfef, thanks for your wisdom and your experience here. Yes, the LS3/5a won't be going anywhere...I need them for the very realistic instrumental timbral beauty that they can reproduce so beautifully. (I'm a musician).

But, I'm a little confused...Mapman says MMG are good on transients and attack, but Polarin says they are not great for rock because they lack weight and dynamics and Rpfef says they have greater impact (than the LS3).

How do I tie these opinions together to get an overview?
"But, I'm a little confused...Mapman says MMG are good on transients and attack, but Polarin says they are not great for rock because they lack weight and dynamics and Rpfef says they have greater impact (than the LS3).

How do I tie these opinions together to get an overview?"

Sum,

Attack is one aspect of transient response.

Transient response is just on aspect of dynamics having more to do with timing and speed.

Impact and weight are less technical terms but imply yet other aspects of the sound related to dynamics having more to do with magnitude rather than timing or speed.

Together, they help describe the sound and dynamics in different ways that are likely measurable.

Opinions are useful, especially from trusted sources, and in quantity but you never know the full story until you listen and compare.