Miyabi retip - the best options

Friends, call it my ignorance but only recently I learnt that there is no more Miyabi Labs. Takeda San, the maker of the legendary Miyabi cartridges has retired from the industry. I learnt this only because I am in the market to buy a new cartridge and possibly a Miyabi (though preowned).

47 Labs in their website have mentioned that they cannot help the existing Miyabi/47 cartridge owners for retipping or servicing issues so all of them (owners) are on their own.

In such a scenario what are the other options to retip or repair a Miyabi ? It is touted as one of the best cartridges ever and there are so many happy owners, I am sure people would have explored other options to have their cartridge maintained. So can we discuss, who are the other cartridge experts worth consulting when one needs help with a Miyabi ?

The usual suspect is of course Soundsmith but I am not sure if they are good enough to re-make a Miyabi!!
pani

Showing 1 response by ira2000

Hi,

I may be a bit late to answer your query but here goes. My Miyabi Srandard needed re-tipping and like you I learned of Takeda not working anymore. So I decided to, instead of re-tipping to get another cartridge. Big mistake. I got a Ikeda 9TT based their superb reputation. Well, to be brief, it just had none of the magic of the Miyabi. Less 3-D, no comparison in dynamics, and on and on. So I gto rid of it in a matter of weeks. At this point I realized I could continue buying cartidges that would never measure up to the Miyabi. So I had Soundsmith do the re-tip. Happy to say this as about 2 years ago. I went for their premium job. That meant a different type cantilever - boron and stylus line contact. It sounds superb. All the magical qualities of the Takeda's masterpiece are still there. FYI - since all of this went down I read Syntax's comment referring to the new Ikeda cartridges as fake. I also read a number of glowing reviews of the 9TT. Now I know who not to pay attention to for audio
advice.