Modwright sony xa5400 vs Modwright Oppo 95

Anyone got a chance to compare modded xa5400 and Oppo 95 units? How would you define the overall sound character of the two? I am using Merlin speakers with ARS filarmonia amplifier. I like to listen Jazz and Classical mainly. Would like to have a great resolution, vocal clarity, focused sound stage and full bodied presentation (..of Piano and string instruments).
Not looking for comparison between stock and modded units.
Please help me decide between the two. Thanks.
sstalwar

Showing 17 responses by wig

I'm extremely satisfied with my MW 5400 and have no desires on trying any other players since I have heard many of my friends mega dollar units.
Will have my MW 5400 back on Tuesday with Bybee musicrails and Audio Magic Gen ZX :o)
I highly recommend trying Audio Magic Liquid Air Umbilical cord, much better than the stock or upgraded umbilical!
Had the opportuniy to borrow a pair of broken in CV181 and didn't care for them at all. They were quite musical but found the soundstaging and imaging to be below par. Imaging was not pinpoint but rather came from a general between the speaker that was soft blurry compared to Sophias or my beloved Sylvanias W.
Knghiifi,

Have you tried any Sylvanias 6SN7W or 6SN7 GTA? I tried the Sophias as well and the sound didn't cut it for me, thin sounding compared to Sylvanias. I'm thing about possibly some 11950 Sylvanias VT231 or maybe some 181 if they are better. Would love to get more opinions on tube for my 5400.

Thanks,
Wig
Had my MW 5400 modded with Bybee Musicrails and Audio Magic Gen ZX and the sound is "UNBELIEVABLE"! You can litterly walk into the soundstage and touch the performers, you get the musicians are in your room type of feeling. More to follow but if you don't have this upgrade I recommend you consider this. I rate this upgrade over any tweaks or component changes I have ever conducted. You will be blown away!
I have Dan's MW 5400 and love it, chose it over my Rega Apollo and Bryston BDA-1, Ayon CD-2, CD-2 with EE Mini Dac and CD-2 with Berkeley Alpha. To me, it more musical and draws you into the performance.

I'm now looking into addding Bybee rail to take it to another level. The Sylvanias 6SN7W has added another dimension to the player and I couldn't be happier.

Wig
Sstalwar,

From what I'm hearing, they both are good but I'm going with the Bybees first since they have to be done by an experienced technician and I can always DIY Gen ZX at a later date.

Have read and spoke with owners on the Bybees and they all have said it's a significant difference in a blacker background and images occupying a deeper/wider soundstage.

The Gen ZX are similiar, removing artitacts inside the unit. Definitely on my short list.
Knghifi,

Which direction did you find the hifi fuses worked best in the 5400 and power supply. Just replaced my fuses yesterday and will give them a week to breakin and reverse them if needed.

Right now the arrows are pointing toward the front of the player and arrow pointing to the rear on the power supply, I believe this info was given to me a while back.

My fuses are the new black ones.

Thanks
The IEC fuse are easy to access and the direction do make a big difference. I typically play Cannon D and turn the fuse in the direction that has better high frequency extension.

I'll report back after I have about 120 hours on them.
Modwright added the Bybee rails to the dac and Audio Magic Gen ZX within the chasis to combat RFI/EMI to my MW Sony 5400. The unit was already superb but now it's Magical!

The first thing you will notice is a very transparent sound with deeper and wider soundstage that is organic and natural sounding. I listen to alot of acoustic guitar, violin, cello and piano music. I can clearly hear the hammer from the piano returning back to the assembly,with notes that are airy and appears to be floating in my room no where near the boundaries of the speakers. Fingering of notes are so lifelike you would think you are part of the show.

Guitar, violin and cello are my favorite and the sound is rich and vibrant, hearing the string and body of the instrument is unbelievable. The best way I can describe the difference is you are pulled in on an emotional level.
The music is so engaging you can feel the artist emotion and mood.

My boys are classical pianist and love Einaudi Ludovico, played this cd and they came running in and asked what did I do? Needless to say, I spent the next hour standing up listening while they took their turns in the sweetspot. The sound was beautiful standing, and listening from another room which reminded me of the Thiels 2.2 speakers which piano sounded so real from another room.

I really can't think of another mod that will bring you this type of satisfaction without spending $$$'s and only give you a fraction of the performance of Bybee music rails and Audio Magic Gen ZX module. You will get a sharper image, wider/deeper soundstage, much faster transients, longer decay notes and a satisfying musical experience.

It feels like I'm at a live performance everytime I sit down to listen and boy, what a joy!

My compliments to Dan and his team for a job well done!

Wig
It's awesome equipment but I'm moving to a tube integrated amp. I bought my 5400 after one of the audio shows already modded.