NAD C658 DAC vs TEAC NT 505

I am looking at DACs and I am probably going to chose between these two units
The TEAC has the AKM 449X chip and some really useful filters
The NAD has the Sabre chip and really is very useful for my no-preamp powered speakers
both do MQA and DSD
i do Tidal and digital computer files, no headphones usually, no vinyl
i want to get a used or B stock unit
canibefrank
I have the TEAC 503 DAC in one system. I like the sound. I have a Sonica DAC in a different system and like the sound. Completely different. The ESS is very precise and analytical. Very very detailed. The AKM is sweet and tube like. So it depends on your system. 
i currently have Airpulse Model One powered monitors with an AMT-Planar tweeter. I have the high end cut a bit with the bass boosted. I run a subwoofer. I feel the resolution is good enough that I am not looking for anything special to be gained... I am leaning toward a sweet tube sound ... I love JBL horns !!  but I don't know what I don't know...
i listen to quite a bit of mediocre recorded indie music, post-metal, blues, some classical, pop...hard rock....
"I am leaning toward a sweet tube sound" -- doubt you're going to get that from this NAD or Teac, tbh! Why not look at Metrum?
Post removed 
I am also considering the NT-505. I currently own a tube DAC (Musical Paradise MP-D2) with the AKM 4490 and love the warm sound but that is likely also due to the effects of the DAC's tubes.

One thing that surprised me in the NT-505 specs is it must be connected via a wired Ethernet connection for streaming music.  The controller app does work over WIFI but not music streaming. Curious if this is common with higher end DACs that play higher resolution music? To be honest, I would rather a DAC manufacturer not include WIFI when I can buy a quality network extender to plug into for much less than what the incremental cost would be if they provide WIFI capability.
The NAD C658 using the BlueOS controller is a big plus for me as I already have BlueOS in the house and am familiar with it. NAD is also fully WIFI streaming capable.
Looking at the NT-505 to replace my Bluesound Node Marantz HD-DAC1 combo.

Seems very capable, the Android and Apple based interface looks good, I suspect on par with BluOS, and it does DSD over USB.
Post removed 
" I have the TEAC 503 DAC in one system. I like the sound. I have a Sonica DAC in a different system and like the sound. Completely different. The ESS is very precise and analytical. Very very detailed. The AKM is sweet and tube like. So it depends on your system."More proof of something I learned long ago: 1) different systems cause individual components to sound differently, and, 2) different ears hear things differently.  The comment I cited above stunned me, because my experience is exactly the opposite...I have a 503, and it is VERY detailed and articulate; the Sonica [which I sold] was more laid back, and lacked the punch and articulation of the TEAC. Detailed, but in a weirdly subtle way~ it always emphasized, for me, certain parts of the music, while nearly dropping others nearly altogether.  I will go farther and say that the ESS chips always sound smooth, w/rounded off edges on transients, compared to the AKMs. If you are listening to acoustic music, the ESS has a warmer sound ~ not the other way around, so it should be a good choice.  If you are listening to, say, psytrance, go w/the AKM.  Oh, and the TEAC is dual mono, and yields great channel separation and imaging.  The only thing that I agree with is that they do sound very different from each other.  Again, I'm talking about my ears, my system ~ I don't mean this as a criticism,. or to be argumentative.  I just am very surprised to hear anyone say that they think any ESS chip is more detailed than the AKM; my experience w/several different units w/one or the other of these chips always leads me back to the AKM for detail, transient attack, and the retrieval of subtle aspects of the recordings that other chips miss [don't even get me started on Wolfsons]
tgrisham, I'd love to hear your setup~ it's probably just as you say, and I would be forced to admit that the the advice you offered is accurate based on your setup.  It's one of the things that makes this such a great hobby...
Got the TEAC NT-505 and I agree with ACE17, it is a fabulous upgrade from my Marantz HD-DAC1.

Native 11.2MHz DSD, FLAC from PC, and Tidal via network, even the humble TuneIn stations get a new life. 

It is way too up-specced but this will make it more futureproof.