Ohm Walsh Micro Talls: who's actually heard 'em?

Hi,

I'd love to hear the impressions of people who've actually spent some time with these speakers to share their sense of their plusses and minuses. Mapman here on Audiogon is a big fan, and has shared lots on them, but I'm wondering who else might be familiar with them.
rebbi
Thanks Foster. That was worth the wait

My master plan is to get the 100's after I move to Virginia next year (assuming I have a large enough room) and run the MWT's for surrounds. OR- get another pair of MWT's.

In either case, I'm pretty excited about what I read about the new drivers.

And yes- it seems that Ohm's like a lot of current. I also notice it in the mid-range region. The only word that comes to mind is 'smooth'.
"And yes- it seems that Ohm's like a lot of current. I also notice it in the mid-range region. The only word that comes to mind is 'smooth'."

Good point.

In addition to low end impact and "mojo" due to moving more air, higher current also does seem to result in better overall smoothness top to bottom I believe.

Hi Current is like a 20 mph wind rotating a windmill on Earth with denser atmosphere.

Low current is like the same velocity wind rotating the same windmill on Mars with sparse atmosphere.

Regarding impact and authority, the same velocity wind will also knock that hat off your head a lot faster in earth's denser atmosphere. Also big hats (bass) requiring more pressure to move will be affected more. The smaller hats (midrange)are more susceptible as well. The tiny hats (treble) stand no chance.
BTW, the OHMs have been around for a long time and lots of non-audiphile type people still own them. I bought my first Walsh 2s in a typical, not "high end" audio store in 1982 for ~ $600 retail I believe.

My point is that there are a lot of people out there who could afford and own OHMs that probably never heard or cared to hear them optimally driven by larger, high quality, high current power amps. They sound much more ordinary driven by ordinary or average systems. A lot of audiophiles that have heard the OHMs over the years may have never heard them run optimally, hence the more mixed press that they have received over the years!
Another amusing way to look at it:

Athletes have their juice and we OHM owners have ours!
I'm finally experiencing the imaging and soundstage capabilities, and it takes a bit getting used to.

I'm used to 'monkey coffins' that image instruments and vocals precisely in the middle. Very, very artificial. A real guitar will revel its location, but the sound is not locked into a sweet spot. All this means is that I'm used to speakers that behave this way.

The Ohm's do not. They do this weird disappearing act, in which the soundstage seemingly overtakes the whole room. A solo acoustic guitar or vocal isn't locked-in to a specific position, but more-or-less inhabits space between the speakers. But if something is recorded to the extreme right or left, it can be a startling experience.

There's also no compression. What I mean is, bad recordings sound bad, great ones sound awesome. I'm still used to box speakers making EVERYTHING sound ok.

I love every characteristic I'm referring to. But it's like falling in love with my wife- it seems there's always something new to experience. And get used to...

-P