Ohm Walsh Micro Talls: who's actually heard 'em?

Hi,

I'd love to hear the impressions of people who've actually spent some time with these speakers to share their sense of their plusses and minuses. Mapman here on Audiogon is a big fan, and has shared lots on them, but I'm wondering who else might be familiar with them.
rebbi
Foster_9,

Thanks for the very interesting report! I'm delighted to hear that you're having such a good experience with your new speakers.

John told me a few months ago that EVENTUALLY (as in, within a year or so) driver upgrades to the new generation would be available for the rest of the Ohm Walsh line... I think he said they'd become available from the top of the line on down. I'll look forward to getting those upgraded drivers in my lowly 100's, too! ;-)
Thank you Rebbi! As my system developments continue with the 5000's I'll post updates to this outstanding Ohm thread. (the most informative anywhere!)
Thanks Foster. That was worth the wait

My master plan is to get the 100's after I move to Virginia next year (assuming I have a large enough room) and run the MWT's for surrounds. OR- get another pair of MWT's.

In either case, I'm pretty excited about what I read about the new drivers.

And yes- it seems that Ohm's like a lot of current. I also notice it in the mid-range region. The only word that comes to mind is 'smooth'.
"And yes- it seems that Ohm's like a lot of current. I also notice it in the mid-range region. The only word that comes to mind is 'smooth'."

Good point.

In addition to low end impact and "mojo" due to moving more air, higher current also does seem to result in better overall smoothness top to bottom I believe.

Hi Current is like a 20 mph wind rotating a windmill on Earth with denser atmosphere.

Low current is like the same velocity wind rotating the same windmill on Mars with sparse atmosphere.

Regarding impact and authority, the same velocity wind will also knock that hat off your head a lot faster in earth's denser atmosphere. Also big hats (bass) requiring more pressure to move will be affected more. The smaller hats (midrange)are more susceptible as well. The tiny hats (treble) stand no chance.
BTW, the OHMs have been around for a long time and lots of non-audiphile type people still own them. I bought my first Walsh 2s in a typical, not "high end" audio store in 1982 for ~ $600 retail I believe.

My point is that there are a lot of people out there who could afford and own OHMs that probably never heard or cared to hear them optimally driven by larger, high quality, high current power amps. They sound much more ordinary driven by ordinary or average systems. A lot of audiophiles that have heard the OHMs over the years may have never heard them run optimally, hence the more mixed press that they have received over the years!