Phono Pre-amp for Analog Newbie

OK, I am going to take the plunge and go "Back to the Future". I am buying a turntable. After much research, and a lot of listening, I am leaning heavily towards a VPI Scoutmaster. I am looking for advice on:

1) Cartridge (type and make)

2) Phono pre-amp (it will be going into an Anthem AVM30, or I may upgrade to the D1 Statement). I would like to get one with XLR output if possible, or does that really matter?

3) Reasonbly priced cleaning machine.

4) Other "extras" I will need.

Thanks!!
macdadtexas

Showing 1 response by jalanc42069

Hello Macdadtexas, I agree about the scout/scoutmaster, they are hard to beat at that price point. A couple other tables i would check out are the Nottingham Spacedeck, and Well Tempered Turntable[classic]. I have a WTT and love it, most cartridges are compatable, it sounds great, has superb imunity from vibrations, etc., and probably the quietest bearing design in the industry. As far as phono stages are concerned the above recomendations are worth checking out depending on your budget. I have a Audio Research PH3SE for sale/trade if interested. Dynavector, Benz,Shelter, Sumiko Celabration[often overlooked], Grado statement series,and Denon are what I would try to audition. Good luck. Thanks for listening, Alan