Phono preamp or preamp with phono selection ????

I want to add turn table to my system . As a beginner what kind of turn table is easy to use with very good looking ( a must) should I buy?( less than 2000$). is it better to have separate phono preamp or preamp with phono selection ? . Thanks you very much for all advice.
winsound

Showing 4 responses by c123666

Both ways are excellent; the dedicated phono preamp might work out to more money but it might now. There is a used Hagerman Trumpet for sale that runs with just about anything short of units costing MUCH more. At 1195 it is a deal.

Add a line stage preamp with remote control such as the very good VTL 2.5 (about 900 used) and you have a state of the art phono section and a very, very good linestage. To move up from this line stage the money starts going up. The VTL 5.5 used is about 1700/1900 and a better piece as it is a true dual monaural design (no shared parts between channels).

This is about the best setup I've seen for under 2K. Another option is a used Audible Illusions Modulus 3A (NOT the 3 unless you only want to spend 750 or so; different animal) in the 1000 to 1300 range depending on options (moving coil option raises used price about 200), condition, and date of production.

For solid state phono preamps I would look at a used Spectral DMC6 or DMC10; excellent units with construction quality that is hard to rival. These have a dedicated power supply and are very quiet and have great performance.

If you wish something new for not a small fortune look to the Wright and Mapletree preamps. They seem a good value for the money and with plenty of people saying they like them.

Krell always seems to have a bunch of used phono preamps for sale; a KSL at 975 seems a deal for quality. Only familiar with reputation; never auditioned one. Plenty of Krell fans can help you out here.

Decware is another place to get high quality units for not a LOT of money (not cheap but not really expensive). A line stage preamp and a very good phono preamp can be had for around 2000 new and you get a 30 day period to try it.
Also,,,used Audio Research SP9 and SP9 Mk II units are great values. You must assume you will put material money in servicing them since they are 15 years or more old. The MkII brings materially more money but I have no idea if it is worth the extra money. The AR fans can chime in on this one.
The Aesthetix stuff is very good; it is also very, very expensive for even their entry level model.
used vtl 2.5 linestage tubed preamp with remote about 800/900...then send it to VTL and have them install a new/warrantied tubed phono stage for another 550...excellent unit and VTL remains to service it as required (hopefully not)