Preamp Deal of the Century

If anyone is looking for a true "World Class" preamp at a very fair price..heed my advice. I just recieved a Supratek Syrah preamp that was hand built by Mick Maloney in Western Australia, and it is absolutely beautiful! This preamp is the best deal you will ever find. I would put it up against any preamp out there for both looks and sound. Price? $2500 for the Syrah (includes Killer Phono stage). Not into phono? Try the Chardonney line stage for $2100. Don't get me wrong, I am not associated with this company. I am just a very happy owner! This preamp is VERY dynamic, yet liquid. It conveys the sound of music better than any other preamp that I have ever heard! You can check out the Supratek website at www. cantech.net.au
slowhand
With all due respect, herein lies the problem that I first hinted at. Speakers from Paradigm with polypropylene cones and even the Wilson Benesch with its (slightly fuzzy)Scanspeak carbon cones are not the last word in resolution. The inner beauty and differentiation of low level detail and tonal textures of the Supratek Cortese or Cabernet will not necessarily show through with speakers such as these.

Its not until you enter the realm of electrostats, horns, Raven ribbons and Accutons that you will truly know what your Suprateks are capable of.

Brian, if you are down sizing to the world of Single Point Source drivers, give the eight inch Fostex FE206E a try. Its got an uneven response tilted towards the upper mids, but the overall sound is superb! Its highly efficient at 96dB/w/m, very coherent sounding with pin point sharp imaging and excellent treble response. You will need to build a sub-woofer to match though, to augment bass. The good news is that the Fostex is only $68USD ea. from Madisound, so you've got nothing to lose.

Regards,

Steve.
Stevem1960

I am using Mauhorn IV with Lowther EX2 drivers, driven by Cary 300B SET monos. REL Strata 5 for the lows . Point source & no-crossovers is truly something to hear. Love the combo with my Chardonay.
Bwhite, I wasn't "lead to believe that the Cortese was microphonic". It WAS microphonic. Tap the top plate and hear it ring like a chime! Thump the volume control and just listen to it reverberate through the room! Tizziness in the upper mids and highs at anything greater than moderate volume levels. The Cortese is a very good preamp, but dead silence is not one of its assets.
Curriemt, looks like what you experienced is accurately described as a microphonic Cortese. Not sure what vintage yours was but mine was built in late 2002. It was rock solid. Even heavy thumps on the chassis wouldn't cause any problems.. and that's saying something considering I was using tubes from 1940.

My previous Suprateks (Chardonnay/Syrah) had issues caused by just lightly touching the chassis. It made piano sounding noises.

FYI - You are correct, the Janus problems have been fixed - I believe current models have fewer tubes in the circuit and unfortunately don't sound quite as good as the older unreliable Janus.
Steve, come on... please! The Supratek's are NOT "high resolution" preamps capable of reproducing low level detail beyond what (almost) any decent (non-metalic or ceramic) speaker is capable of.

Personally, metallic and ceramic drivers are not my cup of tea. I cannot listen to them because they introduce a non-natural hardness to the music - I guess that can be perceived as "inner detail". If we assume that these types of transducers "bring out the detail" of the Supratek, I would have to disagree and suggest that they create an illusion of air and inner-detail because of their ringing, metallic composition.

Also remember there is a pair of interconnects, an amplifier and a pair of speaker cables between the Supratek and the speakers.

In order to really hear what a Supratek does you have to remove it from your system.

Get a record that starts off slow & quiet. Use Bolero or something like that.. then run your source directly to your amp and then tell me what you hear.... I am sure that will end the discussion about the Supratek's inner detail.

You may end up sending your preamp back to Mick.