Preamp recommendation please..

Hello,

I'm looking to buy a 2nd hand preamp, to match my Krell Evo 302e amp.
Speakers are Vienna Acoustics Beethoven Concert Grand.
I like setups based on tube preamps and SS amps, but this is not a must.
Most important for me: Transparency, Musicality & Drive. Smooth sound, not thin or clinical.
Fully balanced models are preferred.
Budget is around $3k.
Any help and information would be greatly appreciated.

Tnx.

k302
Thanks for the interesting ideas.

Any experience with the ARC LS27, which sounds transparent to me. how about its musicality and drive?

I also read very good things about audio gd's preamp, and its compatibility with Krell amps, through the 'semi-cast' output and interconnect.
ModWright LS 36.5. Guarantee it has more PRAT than the LS27. I've heard many newer ARC and they are very nice preamps; not referring to the Reference models here. Latest ARC I dragged home was a LS25 MKII. It was a very nice pre; very clean, not sterile but I preferred my former ModWright SWL 9.0 SE for having more drive and being musical.

I wanted to go balance into my Pass so ended up with the ModWright LS 36.5 which is a killer preamp. Hands down bettered my SWL and the ARC LS25 MKII. I'm sure the LS27 is better than the LS25 but bet it is similar in its overall presentation; very nice neutral pre but not much drive. 

Thanks adg101.

Any SS candidates?

MBL 5011..  Music culture.. Electro-Companient..  are these preamps tranparent, smooth-sounding, with drive? or others.. Tnx.

Pass Labs XP10. Reno HiFi often has used units around $3K. Mark offers a 30 day money back trial. Doubt you return it. 

I agree with adg101, re the Modwright 36.5  and ARC. I use an ARC 75 SE power amp and very much like the ARC pre's, but I think they are expensive at full retail. I bought the 36.5 and it is staying where it is. I compared it to the ARC Ref 3, not at the same time, but I clearly prefer the Modwright, at a big saving.

I am sure the ARC Ref 5SE would be better than the 36.5, but at more than twice the price? I had a listen to the two box 36.5 when I bought mine, it really is very good indeed and again, much cheaper than the REF 5SE