Quality CD player to also serve as external DAC?

I'm looking for a good quality used CD player for under 1000.00, that would have a digital input, so I could use it's quality DAC in conjunction with a Sony 400 CD changer.

Suggestions?
trubluluc
The Quad 99 CDP CD Player (not the older non-CDP version) is excellent for the used price. It has 6 digital inputs and it also has an excellent built-in analog volume control. If you have an all digital system, you can connect the Quad directly to a power amp and forget about an expensive pre-amp.

I've owned the Quad and several other CD players with digital inputs (including one of the ones mentioned above) and I can tell you, the Quad is a great bargain and only gets outperformed by CD players costing a lot more money (at least 2-3X more IMHO).

Enjoy,

TIC
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I did check into them, and I think that they may be more than I need.
I am running a bryston amp and preamp system.
I like having all my CD's in a carosel for organization and convience.
I want a single CD player to sample CD's before putting them into the changer. And I would also like to try a higher quality DAC, than what's in the Sony CDP M555ES changer.

What is thought of California Audio Lab CL-15?

-Luc
Cal Audio has been out of business for ten years or close to that. If it breaks it could be a proprietary part and you are pretty much screwed unless you want to start building a pile of these things to scavenge parts. Some of their transports/players used proprietary transports; just so you are aware!

I am trying to stick with digital products that are supported by companies still in business.
Thanks for the heads up C123666.
I thought I had the perfect unit, but I fully agree,
it is key to buy products which will have parts available. Especially on units with moving parts.

-Luc
I would back up the opinions of the Quad mentioned by the posters above. I recently acquired the CDP-2 (the official designation for the 2005-updated CDP-99; the original CDP99 seems to have had some transport-related issues, now fixed). The CDP-2 designation is not much used here in the US but google it and you will see that virtually all European dealers use it.

I did not understand your comment, Trubluluc, about being more than you need. The Quad is a cd player and also has six digital inputs (3 optical, 3 RCA-type) which makes it very versatile and seems like exactly what you need. (I think its DAC is very good btw). It also has a volume control and both fixed and variable outs so you can use with or without a preamp. Really, 3 units in one.

Anyway, am happy with mine. Another plus for me is I am in a downsizing mode, and I mean that more in a physical sense. The Quad is small (12" wide) and I love its looks after having played with some giant gear in the past. No doubt I will swing back that way again in a couple years but I am liking the small stuff now.

See if you can get one to audition. Or used at or under $1K is not a bad deal; you can probably sell it for the same figure if you don't like it.