"Old" vs. "new" digital equipment

Some recent posts about how far digital has come have got me thinking. I have a Theta DS Pro Gen III dac fed by a CEC TL5100Z as a transport. (The rest of the system is ARC LS2B Mk II into ARC VT-100 Mk II into Vandy 3a Sigs and 2WQ sub.)

I wonder what improvements I might hear if I were to go to a newer dac or newer cdp. In my current system, I hear grain when I listen to massed strings, some congestion on orchestral peaks, but otherwise most generally like what I hear.

Would newer digital stuff mitigate or eliminate these issues?

If I were to upgrade, where might I head next?

More generally, can anyone characterize the differences between my "old" Theta and newer digital equipment?

TIA.

David
Ag insider logo xs@2xbikecommuter

Showing 1 response by aolmrd1241

As we mature in our quest for the newer,better, bigger this, that, and the other,ultimately,I think, you reach a point of diminishing returns. When someone is new to our noble hobby,the quest can and is a lot of fun,but, when one comes to terms with what makes one "happy" with what they now have(own)then, the whole idea of pursuing our audio lust seems to narrow to a point of being content with what you have, and not how much you think you "need". I think after years of pursuit I'm content with audio being what it is,a hobby,not my life...ymmv... ;^)...