Recommendation for a modern Duntech Sovereign 2001 replacement

After o.a. the Snells (Model A/II, B Minor), Vandys (2Ce sigII), Thiels (2.2, 3.6), I settled on Dunlavy (SC I, III, IV) and Duntech (Black Knight and Sovereign 2001). These all have 1st order xo and soft dome speakers (I have had plenty of other speakers).

I listen mostly to classical, Jazz and occasionally classic Rock. Must have superb mid range.

Looking for a modern version (closed box or electrostatic) which should be smaller and, very important, offers a higher WAF (which should not be difficult).

Any recommendations?

128x128jazzonthehudson

Showing 5 responses by pryso

Hi joth, that is an interesting situation.

We likely have similar tastes since I too owned Vandys, Thiels, and Duntechs.  In fact I kept my Princeses 19 years, longer than any other component I've owned.  Obviously I appreciate the 1st order crossovers as well. 

Since downsizing from them I've tried a couple other systems but replacing the Duntechs is not easy.  I ended up with the Janszen zA2.1 hybrid electrostatic, now called the Valentina.  It is available in either passive (which I have) or active versions.  They offer similar overall coherency with increased resolution and HF extension.  The bass does not have the extension of the Princess so it certainly wouldn't match your Sovereigns, but it is surprising for their size.  The powered version is said to have better bass extension but I've not auditioned them.  I believe they have higher WAF than the Duntechs.

Another obvious consideration would be a current Vandersteen model, from the Quatro to the 7, depending on your preference and budget.

Anyway, good luck with your choice.

PS - I'm a big jazz fan too.  
joth, I'm not selling any of the recommendations I offered.

I consider my room to be of medium size (20 x17 x 11) and I have no issues with image size from the Janszens.

I agree with rcprince on the Maggie 20s, a wonderful speaker when set up properly.  I didn't include those due to size and placement requirements, not much WAF. ;^)
joth, I bought my Princess new and they were airfreighted to the US and delivered to my door.  But that was in three factory boxes strapped to a pallet.

I see only two alternatives for your situation.  One, contact a commercial shipping business to have them pack and arrange the transport.  Two, if you believe you can pack them adequately yourself and have access to the materials, contact Duntech to see who they utilize for world-wide shipping.

Good luck, hope you can find a good solution.

PS - Don't know your age but I believe it is reasonable to own speakers and amps we are still able to handle.  The Janszens being half the size of the Princess had this point in their favor.  Also, I would take exception to the Janszens being a "retro 50's kind of styling".  To me that means a wide rectangular box.  I find the Janszens with their sculpted front baffle to be quite contemporary, and they don't dominate the room (unless maybe you choose a red painted version!).  ;^)
joth, I would say any reference/comparison to Eames designs is a high complement.  Several of those remain in continual demand  because they are considered classics.  

I took audiotroy's "retro 50s" comment to reference speakers since that is the topic of this discussion. 

Regardless, esthetics are so personal that each of us must judge for ourselves.
shadorne, I'm not an engineer but I don't believe the number of transducers is the major factor in determining the necessary amp power. If that was the case then the Infinity IRS would have required something like a welding machine to drive them. ;^)

As mentioned, I owned Duntech Princess speakers for many years.  They were rated at 90 dB (with 5 transducers) but I didn't believe that.  I expect ratings can be based upon individual driver specifications, but in this case the first-order crossover was very complex.  So I believe that reduced the efficiency of the speaker overall.  In spite of the 90 dB rating John Dunlavy recommended at least 200 wpc for "optimum performance".  I tried many amps over the years, tube and SS, beginning at 100 wpc.  What I found to sound best (musical and effortless) was a pair of Parasound JC-1s rated at 800 wpc into their 4 ohm rating.

Something that may confuse the issue is that many owners of DAL speakers reported satisfaction with more modest amps.  But as far as I know the DAL line up utilized different drivers than the Duntechs.  Bottom line, I agree with shadorne that Duntechs can be constrained by amp choice but I don't believe it is because of the number of drivers.