Recommendation for a modern Duntech Sovereign 2001 replacement

After o.a. the Snells (Model A/II, B Minor), Vandys (2Ce sigII), Thiels (2.2, 3.6), I settled on Dunlavy (SC I, III, IV) and Duntech (Black Knight and Sovereign 2001). These all have 1st order xo and soft dome speakers (I have had plenty of other speakers).

I listen mostly to classical, Jazz and occasionally classic Rock. Must have superb mid range.

Looking for a modern version (closed box or electrostatic) which should be smaller and, very important, offers a higher WAF (which should not be difficult).

Any recommendations?

128x128jazzonthehudson

Showing 2 responses by rcprince

I also loved the Duntech sound (had Princesses for many years, the Sovereigns were too big for my room).  For the big sound that you are used to you could try the Maggie 20 series or the Dynaudio Evidence line of speakers (I liked the Temptations a lot, would have considered them as Princess replacements had I been able to afford them), though obviously the size of your new place will present some restrictions.  The Vandy 7s and 5s might also be up your alley (the 7s might be the best I've heard recently, and their powered bass makes them comparatively easy to work in a room).  I would suggest visiting both Audio Doctor to hear the models they mention (I especially like the Blades) and Audio Connection in Verona, NJ to hear the Vandersteen 7s (not sure if John still has the big Maggies set up)--both of those dealers have excellent setups that will give you a good idea of what the speakers can do.
As for shipping the Sovereigns, Audiotroy mentioned ABF Airfreight, you might try them; I believe that a friend of mine also uses them when he sells overseas.  As an aside, when I sold my Princesses, I didn't have boxes, so the buyer drove up from North Carolina with a friend who was delivering a boat to Long Island on a 50 foot flatbed, and we wrapped up the Princesses and put them on that for the return trip from my place in NJ.  Don't think that will work over an ocean, though.  :>(