Record-playing Rituals?

I'm curious what everybody's riuals are when listening to albums. How often do you clean the records? Every Time? How often do you clean and lubricate the stylus? Every time?

David
deshapiro
Mapman,

you definitely want to rinse that record off again with purified water after what you described.

Rccc,

Alcohol poses no threat to the vinyl as long as none of it spills between the glass and your mouth. ;-)

Seriously, it poses no threat within anything resembling the typical time frame of record cleaning. It is also only a moderately effective cleaner.

For myself, if I've got a seriously dirty find from the local resale store, I rinse under the faucet first with warm water to get the worst off, then follow up with dish washing detergent and a wet sponge, then faucet rinse again, followed by RO water rinse, which I have on my sink for drinking. I then take it over to my Nitty Gritty RCM and do it up with a solution of alcohol and RO water with a trace each of Direct bathroom cleaner and photoflow; or if I want to get serious, I use the multi step Walker Audio Prelude system. If the record isn't so dirty then I skip to one of the last options. If I've already done that at some point, I just use a carbon fiber brush followed by the Mapleshade Ionoclast followed by the Walker Audio Talisman. If this last bit sounds obsessive, it isn't as both are relatively cheap compared their brethren that they best, and they take but a moment to do. I always dry brush the stylus and frequently brush with Last stylus cleaner ending up with a touch of Stylast.

Since my TT is a Maplenoll airbearing linear tracker I preceed all this by turning on my air pump. I frequently quick check the horizontal arm balance since my floor changes a bit with the weather under a few hundred pounds of components. Occasionally I'll clean the arm bearing with a tissue to keep it effortless.

The Hagerman Trumpet has a well engineered two stage manual slow turn on sequence that insures tube health and performance so I do turn that on and off as I use it, optimally giving it at least an hour to warm up. My amp has no such feature but that also gets turned on and off as used. For serious sessions, I'll turn off the power strip with my computer etc. and unplug any unused audio component.

Then comes the hard part: what record to play...
I use a VPI 16.5 and initial cleaning is with diluted solution from UHF concentrate (available from UHF magazine here) with the VPI supplied brush. This has sufficient detergent that no beading is seen. After vacuuming, a second wash with isopropanol, vacuuming, and then a generous rinse with distilled water and a NittyGritty brush and a third vacuum. GruvGlide is always applied, and the disk played straight away before inserting in a new sleeve. The sleeve is marked to show the record has been cleaned and treated with GruvGlide. I do use a second cork mat for the second side of each disk to avoid putting the clean side on a contaminated mat. Every few days I clean my brushes and the vacuum wand. Intermittently I clean the stylus with Last and a Benz Micro stylus brush. I also use a Zerostat and a Goldring Super Exstatic brush on the glass platter before playing. Once a disk has been cleaned like this, I may use the Goldring brush on it prior to playing if I can see anything on it, otherwise it gets played for a while before being cleaned again.
Jhendrixfan : Thank you for your support in the cause of steaming records.

Steaming LPs is one of the most cost effective and repeatable playback improvements available to any Lp'er. Used as a part of of combo with a record cleaning machine the results can be fantastic. There is a "dirty little secret" in the record cleaning industry, namely ALL record cleaning fluids leave a sonic fingerprint, goos an glides even worse. However, since so few have ever listened to a steamed cleaned recording they truly have no idea what they are missing.
My personal choice is the Perfect Hand Steamer available thru Walgreens Web Site for $30 US. Great machine ! As for super pure water , try Peak Battery Water @ Pep Boys $4.Ga.

I feel that Pidepipers suggestion to preclean using warm tapwater in certianly acceptable for dirty, grungy $1 bin stuff , provided that steaming comes into play sometime in the mix.

Remember : Jimi played a right-handed guitar up-sidedown and left-handed. He broke most conventional guitar playing rules ... 30 years since his death his music can be heard almost anywhere a radio signal can be received on this planet. Long live Jimi.
Crem1,

"I feel that Pidepipers suggestion to preclean using warm tapwater in certianly acceptable for dirty, grungy $1 bin stuff , provided that steaming comes into play sometime in the mix."

precicely, or at least a cleaning system worthy of the stereo system and record.